Taxis

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 25 August 2009 10.40am
Can anybody recommend a good local taxi (minicab) firm that does trips to Heathrow for a reasonable price?

Thanks.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 11.15am
Worth a quick scan through the existing Mini Cab thread:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/8802
Tuesday 25 August 2009 1.04pm
carmenes82 wrote:
Can anybody recommend a good local taxi (minicab) firm that does trips to Heathrow for a reasonable price?
Thanks.

Posts of this nature always make me think of the times in the past in Singapore when British servicemen would incite rickshaw drivers to bid lower and yet lower fares to take them to the bar areas, eventually taking the most desperate guy who would do it for peanuts.
Personally if travelling in a party of two or more I would only consider a black cab to Heathrow.
Travelling alone I either take the Jubilee to Green Park then switch to the Piccadilly line, or cab to Holborn then direct to Heathrow.
Of course, what suits me doesn't suit everyone, but using a minicab for a trip to the airport equates to me to being taking to dinner at KFC.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 2.06pm
I would probably agree with DebraJoan - even alone I would contemplate a black cab before a minicab. In my personal experience black cab's are safer, but remarkably often turn out to be cheaper too.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 4.00pm
Thanks all - the existing thread truthmonkey pointed to is very helpful.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 7.17pm
As another approach, we've used dot2dot the last couple of times - effectively a shared minibus.

Brings costs right down and has been very reliable.

dot2dot website
Wednesday 26 August 2009 9.11am
I've used dot2dot a few times, too. It's great for getting to the airport. I wouldn't take it coming back from the airport, though--you end up driving all over town dropping people off, as SE1 seems always to be the last stop. It took my something like two and a half hours to get home the last time I tried it.

Debrajoan, I don't understand your post. What is wrong with a car service?
Wednesday 26 August 2009 12.24pm
Laphroaig wrote:

Debrajoan, I don't understand your post. What is wrong with a car service?

Laphroaig, it's just an attitude of mind, friends have queried it in the past, but that is how I am.
If I have toothache I visit a dentist, not an oral hygienist, if I feel unwell I go to a doctor not a medicine man.
If I require a taxi I either stand at the kerb and look for a yellow light or phone for a black cab.
I do not deal in cheap imitations.
Others may do as they wish.
We live in a free society where the individual has the freedom of choice, and I reserve my right to exercise that freedom by opting to use a professional, not a well meaning amateur pretending to be one.
Wednesday 26 August 2009 1.49pm
I never realised snobbery extended to not getting a mini cab!
Wednesday 26 August 2009 1.50pm
Take the point about the driving ability of some minicab drivers. However:

- you can get a minicab to Heathrow for approx half the price of a black cab. This is a big difference, and we don't all have that cash to throw around

- if you find a good minicab driver, it's often easy to specify that you want the same driver again (or to call them direct), especially if you're booking the journey in advance (as is likely if you're flying off somewhere)

- I've been in black cabs where the driving's been atrocious. They're not all like Parker.

- to me, the main benefit of a black cab is their knowledge of small streets. Whereas everyone knows where Heathrow is.

- there's also the companies like Addison Lee (and SE1's own - ?Express?, down Spurgeon Street), who, to my mind, bridge the gap between minicabs and black cabs.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: