Bermondsey Street Arches

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 August 2009 9.25pm
There used to be a sign saying 'road closed from May 26th for 2 months', which has quietly been removed. Indeed.

They're only now digging new holes, and the Morrison's crew on the jack-hammer at 7:45 a.m. yesterday was a nice touch.

Builders are running the country.
Monday 7 September 2009 2.14pm
And to add insult to injury Snowsfields is now closed creating some formidible traffic jams along St Thomas' St!!! When will it end!???? Are they ever going to reopen Bermondsey St tunnel and if so when? A little honest communication can go a long way.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 10.24am
God knows what's going on there. The sand-blasting has been finished for months.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 11.10am
I agree it really is a joke!!! who holds these people accountable!!?
I noticed on my way into work today that St Thomas St has been sprayed all the way along it as if they are going to dig that up again!
Tuesday 8 September 2009 12.33pm
sometimes the contractors forget to take the signs down or cones away, I belive there was a street in the city that remained closed for a week after work had finished....
Tuesday 8 September 2009 2.02pm
So... With St Thomas' Street closed westbound for the Shard, Bermondsey Street Tunnel closed, Snowsfield closed at Weston Street and now Tooley Street closed westbound even to cyclists (who have to take the most ridiculous detour back east again round Magdalen Street) I cannot understand why they don't simply go the whole hog and completely pedestrianise the entire London Bridge area from Tower Bridge to Borough High Street and from the River down to Long Lane. I drive as well as cycle but haven't a hope in hell of going west through the London Bridge area!
O'c x
Tuesday 8 September 2009 2.09pm
ocadhla wrote:
I cannot understand why they don't simply go the whole hog and completely pedestrianise the entire London Bridge area from Tower Bridge to Borough High Street and from the River down to Long Lane.

Top idea! Can we start a campaign?
Tuesday 8 September 2009 5.32pm
AndyABC wrote:
ocadhla wrote:
I cannot understand why they don't simply go the whole hog and completely pedestrianise the entire London Bridge area from Tower Bridge to Borough High Street and from the River down to Long Lane.

Top idea! Can we start a campaign?

Well Weston Street and Stainer Street tunnels are going to be pedestrianised, and Tooley Street is going to be closed for some time. I don't know when these things are giong to happen though.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 9.43pm
Jan the old one wrote:
sometimes the contractors forget to take the signs down or cones away, I belive there was a street in the city that remained closed for a week after work had finished....

And some times they put up signs and cones, and forget to start the job.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 9.49pm
that made me chuckle

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: