Roadworks New Kent Road September - December

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 27 August 2009 12.37pm
On my way home last night, I noticed a mobile sign had appeared at the New Kent Road exit of the Elephant roundabout. The bus was travelling quite fast, but I'm sure the sign was saying roadworks from September to December.

Does anyone know what this is for? Is this about the removal of the Southern roundabout or is this roadworks on the New Kent Road?
Thursday 27 August 2009 2.13pm
The "londonworks.gov.uk" website gives some info (see below).

Seems like a major exercise with a lot of impacts on locals and no consultation. Also a shame they don't seem to be taking the opportunity to implement traffic calming or taking away the banned turns.

If anyone wants to write to TfL to enquire about it I am happy to add my name to the list of displeased locals!

Reference: YG40026571
Works owner: Transport For London, 020 7222 1234, Web Site
Street authority: Transport For London
Start date: 17/08/2009
End date: 30/04/2010
Description: Resurfacing the whole width of the A201 N.K.Rd. F/way works and cycle lane facilities in various locations on the A201 New Kent Rd. Raised Entry Treatment work at J/W Rodney place, Theobald Street, Leroy Street and Mandela Way. C/way works 20:00 to 05:00. F/Way works 09:30 to16:30. Localised f/w closures in sectional stages as required. Road closures and diversions for C/W resurfacing. One way closures to be used with local diversion routes. Side Rd closures to be implemented during resurfacing
Thursday 27 August 2009 2.50pm
Thanks Colinio.

Interesting.

I'm not against junction improvements and cycle lanes, but I suspect there are many people who would prefer if TFL removed the roundabout and subway tunnels at Elephant before they did this.
Thursday 27 August 2009 4.10pm
It would make sense for all major works to be completed (heygate to be demolished and the new development on NKR) before resurfacing the road.

Next thing you'll see is some cable/water/telecoms company digging up the road to lay pipes/wires/cables.

Southwark Bridge Road was resurfaced last year, only 6 months later, it feels like a camal ride driving down the road... Thames water & their doddgy resurfacing contractors!

Lets hope Great Dover street stays smooth for years to come...

I wish all the different agencies would communicate and plan their work in co-ordination.
Thursday 27 August 2009 7.39pm
Well, the lovely new surface on Bermondsey st. had hardly dried up that new holes were digged up by the workers on one of the construction sites at the south end (near Bermondsey Sq.). Appaling really. How the council can let this happen is beyond me.
As for Southwark Bridge Rd, I cycle through it every day on my way to work, and I can't believe it was resurfaced last year. It's like nothing happened!
Thursday 27 August 2009 8.05pm
hmeah wrote:
I wish all the different agencies would communicate and plan their work in co-ordination.

Absolutelty.

jeje75014 wrote:
How the council can let this happen is beyond me.

Really? It's the council!

Snowsfileds is closed at the eastern end, you can't go the length of St Thomas street and Bermondsey St tunnel is closed. Now New Kent rd. I'm lucky I hate cars, although it probably just means they're driving around for longer trying to find their way through.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: