Southwark Council (Raw Sewage)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 28 August 2009 10.48am
Help,I am banging my head against a brick wall here.

There is a blocked sewer at the side of my building which is dispensing raw sewage into the area. This was reported to Southwark Council on the 5th of August, who then sent someone round. They said it would be fixed on the 19th August which it wasn't (no surprise there).

Since then very many telephone calls have been made to the council. Each time we are put through to a different department (including Environmental Health), and each time we have to go through the same story.

We have also checked with Thames Water who have advised us that it is a shared sewer and the issue is with Southwark Council.

We are at our wits end. Any advice (or any contact details of someone in the council) as to what we can do to get the council to fix this sewer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Alex.
Friday 28 August 2009 11.38am
You could try complaining here. It says you have to complain to your council first which I think means you need to complain about their service not just the sewage. A tutor at my rubbish uni told me once if you don't use the word 'complaint' they can say it wasn't one, and ignore it.
Saturday 29 August 2009 3.11pm
You could try asking your local councillor to look into it for you.

I asked mine (North Lambeth Princes ward) to look into something for me and things got moving double quick.

Let us know how you get on.
Saturday 29 August 2009 5.25pm
Thanks to you both for your suggestions. Special thanks to you beetroot. I used your link and e-mailed my complaint off.

I felt a bit more positive as I was writing my complaint knowing that they have to reply within 10 days, and that I can take the matter further if they don't.

billiangel I tried calling my local councillor yesterday and today. Left messages but no reply. I hope that this is because she is away for the bank holiday weekend. I would be very disappointed if she shows the same reluctance to help that I have found is the norm from other Southwark Council.

To give you an update someone called round yesterday from Southwark Council's Highways Division. His reaction was that the raw sewage leak was a disgrace and someone really has to do something about it, but guess what?, it wasn't going to be him as this did not fall under his department's jurisdiction.

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious,

Thanks once again to you both.

Regards,

Alex.
Saturday 29 August 2009 6.14pm
Aiberdeenloon, where is it, and aren't there other residents who can complain too? If that was near me I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one concerned.
Zoe
Saturday 29 August 2009 10.32pm
You could email the chief exec. I save this for really bad things, but raw sewage seems like a really bad thing to me, and it always seems to get something done.
Monday 31 August 2009 11.43am
Hello again Beetroot.

One of my neighbours and one of the staff from the pub next door have been calling Southwark Council. Both have met with failure. Like me they have been passed from pillar to post without really getting to speak to the proper department/person.

The raw sewage has now started to encroach on the pavement. Sorry to say this but maybe this is a good thing as Southwark Council may now do something about the problem. Having said that I am not holding my breath.

Thanks Zoe for your suggestion. Going to the top is maybe what is needed. I shall wait till tomorrow (Tuesday) when things get back to normal.

I have left two messages on the mobile phone of the local councillor. As yet no reply but this could be due to the Bank Holiday weekend.

Regards, Alex.
Monday 31 August 2009 12.15pm
Aiberdeenloon wrote:
I am not holding my breath.

Please do.
Take photos of it if it's visible on the pavement. Maybe South London Press would be interested.
Monday 31 August 2009 10.17pm
Alex...

Am very happy to help you resolve this, but...

You don't give your address or the location of the probblem or even who the councillor you're trying to contact is? Sorry if I misunderstand whether you want the problem sorted or are just having a pop?

If you're in Cathedrals then Adele is back next week and if it's Chaucer then Lorraine is back in a fortnight, but in the meantime I'm very happy to progress this for you if you give me a call or send me an email. Equally Cllrs Sheik and Noakes are here in the two wards and will also help.

If you want it sorted then my mobile is 07903 967 809 or email tim.mcnally@southwark.gov.uk

Southwark is not perfect but it's a darn sight better than most Councils, and the local Councillors are happy to help resolve issues. Just call us...

regards

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Executive Member for Resources
Southwark Council
07903 967 809
Tuesday 1 September 2009 9.56am
I agree Tim about different Councils look at Lambeth! mind you they have one up on Southwark as they have several paddling pools in parks.....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: