Last day of bendies on the 521

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 28 August 2009 10.17pm
So, till now people at Waterloo could board through three doors. From Monday they will all have to file through one. How will this improve the service? The single queue will be enormous and boarding will surely take three times as long! I just don't understand this policy.

Related news & features

Friday 28 August 2009 10.46pm
On the new non-bendy 507s and 521s passengers can still board via either door.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 29 August 2009 10.50am
So some folks can still treat them as "free" buses by not touching in with their Oyster - pah.
Saturday 29 August 2009 11.59am
The first time I travelled on a bendy I swiped my oyster card. The whole crammed bus looked at me like I was insane.
Saturday 29 August 2009 12.43pm
Although undoubtedly there has been some fare evasion on the bendy buses, I think a lot of people tend to forget that many (most?) passengers on the Red Arrows are likely to be Travelcard holders rather than Oyster prepay users, so it makes no difference fares-wise whether they touch in or not (even though they should do so anyway).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 29 August 2009 1.25pm
I'm a regular on the still-bendy 149 route, and there will be a lot of shocked people when normal buses are re-introduced and they find out they have to pay for the service. It always seems like a tiny minority who ever pay on the bendy buses - does anyone know what the real numbers are?
Saturday 29 August 2009 1.39pm
I'm curious about the real numbers too. On the few occasions that I've seen inspectors get on there were a lot of people having to swipe their oyster, and a few that dived off the bus. No fines though. In fact the inspectors were quite jolly about it all.
Monday 31 August 2009 5.41pm
I'm sorry, but not sure that I agree with James here. I know at least half a dozen people just in my company who live somewhere near a suburban mainline service to Waterloo, and they pay for just that season ticket from where they live to Waterloo, and not for the bus part from Waterloo to our office in Holborn, and indeed they openly tell me it's the "free bus". So yes they may well be season ticket/travelcard holders, but that doesn't necessarily cover their whole journey!
Monday 31 August 2009 8.59pm
I use buses quite regularly and observe that the majority, if not all, passengers touch in and out on bendies.

One of the three bus stops at Waterloo has now been removed. It will be interesting to see how things work out tomorrow. I presume they will need to increase the bus frequency (and therefore costs) in order to maintain the same capacity.
Monday 31 August 2009 9.08pm
Well that's very different from my experience, william. Also, I have several friends who work or go to uni where everyone calls them the 'free bus' like darrenm's colleagues.
I recently took the 73 from Islington to Stoke-Newington. The bus was nearly empty so everytime someone got on (4 individuals at different stops) the driver asked them to swipe their card. 2 got off. 2 swiped their oyster.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: