Noise levels on Winchester Walk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 20 February 2004 1.19pm

Hello

I'm hoping someone somewhere might know the answer to this.
I'm moving into one of the new flats on Winchester Walk opposite the Market Car park.

I know that the Wholesalers are busy throughout the night but can anyone tell me if this is seven days a week, hours involved and the level of noise?

In short, will I be able to sleep without the aid of earplugs?
I've already been told that I'd better get used to hearing Capital Radio blaring out from three in the morning...help.
Friday 20 February 2004 1.41pm

Your main problem with noise is likely to be contruction from other new developments...
Friday 20 February 2004 2.43pm
Caj, the market operates as a wholesale business Monday through Friday and on Fridays and Saturday its also retail, and a tourist attraction. The wholesale side has diminished over the years to 3 or 4 companies but I don't think its likely to completely disappear in the near future. You are also likely to get disturbance from works on the railway [at night] and films crews!
Friday 20 February 2004 3.02pm
Oops eh Caj? Better steal the DeLorean, get up to 88 and go back and stop yourself signing that contract...
Friday 20 February 2004 3.11pm

oh well. I'm going a bit deaf anyway.

Caj
Friday 20 February 2004 3.28pm

Actually I should be more friendly and say welcome to se1 !

I love the wholesale market (in a way more than the retail one) - when you are walking back from some dingy late night drinking and stagger through the market, it is somehow very comforting to see light and action and (a bit of) noise.
Friday 20 February 2004 3.40pm
I was distraught when I had to move with my parents to a house next to a very busy main road. But, after a few weeks, I became completely oblivious to the noise. I'm sure you'll do exactly the same.

Indeed, welcome to SE1!
Friday 20 February 2004 4.11pm
Thanks for the replies and words of welcome.
I'm really looking forward to it.
Especially the staggering back home bit.
I'm sure I'll get used to the 'ambient' noise eventually.

Caj
Friday 20 February 2004 5.13pm
I live on Bermondsey st and ever since I moved in nearly 4 years ago there's been construction work 6 days a week from 8am. You do kind of get used to someone angle grinding (sp?) just next door when you're dying of a hangover on a saturday morning. Ear plugs at the ready....
Welcome to se1 Caj!
Friday 20 February 2004 6.22pm
agreed re noise comments above - an ex-boyfriend of mine used to live on Electric Avenue in Brixton, which has a market which starts activity at about 6.30am..and it's amazing what you can learn to sleep through, once it becomes a typical noise pattern. (angle grinders excepted)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: