Chicken and mushroom pie

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
kaptau Monday 31 August 2009 9.58am
Does anyone know of a good place/pub for chicken and mushroom pie in SE1 if not around London?
Karen I Monday 31 August 2009 10.19pm
I don't know why, but your message has reduced me to fits of laughter.
kaptau Tuesday 1 September 2009 11.10am
My sister is here for holiday and leaving in a week's time. She's dying for some chicken and mushroom pie, and hasn't stopped moaning since she got here. A simple question can be a little difficult to answer at times. Guess this is just one of those questions.
suziq Tuesday 1 September 2009 1.12pm
Not quite chicken and mushroom, but The Mad Hatter in Stamford Street specliases in pies and they have chicken, ham and leek on their menu. Would that do? Never tried their food, but it always looks nice.
Mini Haha Tuesday 1 September 2009 1.18pm
I haven't had a chicken and mushroom pie for years but you've reminded me of it and now I fancy just such a pie.

I'm afraid I can't recommend an SE1 pie place but I do remember that Porters in Henrietta Street, Covent Garden (catch the RV1 bus) did a good pie.

Does your sister prefer flaky pasty or shortcrust pastry for her pies? Porters have the flaky pastry type if I remember.
ADT Tuesday 1 September 2009 1.57pm
Mad Hatter food has been decent when I've been there for lunch. Any of the Fullers Ale & Pie pubs will have some form of chicken pie on offer, and they tent to be quite good quality.

The Blackfriar also does decent pies (if you don't know it, it's just outside SE1 on the other side of Blackfriars Bridge). Can't recall if they had a chicken & mushroom one though.

My top pie recommendation would be the Chicken Pot Pie at the bar & grill on Smithfield. I think they're currently 50% off via top table.
tinkles Tuesday 1 September 2009 4.18pm
I may be wrong but I think that Pieminister do a chicken and mushroom pie. They have a stall in Borough Market and you can either take them away and heat up in the oven at home or they're ready to eat and they'll warm it up at the stall.

I've become slightly addicted to their pies having started to do my weekly shop at Borough and can confirm that though they are pricey (4 each i think) they are seriously nice.
Zoe Tuesday 1 September 2009 7.01pm
OMG, I want pie so much now
exigo Tuesday 1 September 2009 7.23pm
As tinkles says above, Pieminister in Borough do a Chicken of Aragon pie. Hot or cold Thurs-Sat.

I can vouch for its deliciousness on a regular basis. Lots of others too.

They've just won an award in the national pie awards (I kid you not), as well as Mrs Kings Pies according to the latest Market Magazine.

Failing that, as a pie lover, I can't think of a single place where I couldn't get such a meal. I seem to remember the Barrow Boy and Banker (by London Bridge) being a typically decent example.
JayBee Tuesday 1 September 2009 7.51pm
Don't suppose you know how to make it yourself??? It's not difficult and sooooo rewarding (unless your a chicken)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions