Rundown riverside lighting

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 20 February 2004 2.52pm
I walked along the riverbank from London Bridge to the London Eye last night and was surprised / disappointed to see how many of the main lamps and connecting fairy lights are either broken or missing.

It gives an extremely negative impression to visitors, which is such a shame as this area is a prime tourist spot. Instead of showing London to its best potential, the poor state of the lighting makes it feel run-down and surely less-safe to walk around at night.

I would be interested to know whether this is a recent problem, or something more long-term.

Thanks.
Friday 20 February 2004 2.59pm
This was recently discussed here:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/9933
Friday 20 February 2004 3.16pm
Perhaps this mystery is one which an investigative journalist [either our own editor or one of the SLP/Standard lurkers who pinch breaking stories from the forum without attribution] might want to raise with the various authorities at Lambeth, Southwark, South Bank Board and/or Cross River Partnership and Pool of London Partnership.

They might try and see how the cost of a sustainable restoration of all the lamps with low energy bulbs compares with the amount of public money squandered on the abortive Shell Electric Storm project.
Monday 23 February 2004 11.28am
Please do email Southwark about this as they have ultimate responsibility (the other partners involved in this area can only do what we do and complain to them, though it's good to copy them in on correspondence). They positively encourage reporting of faulty lighting and the more people who do so the better. Though they often take forever to reply they at least eventually got back to me with the promise of new Bankside and Pool of London Community Wardens, who will have responsibility for ensuring the maintenance and upkeep of the Riverside walk. The email address to write to is: Environment@southwark.gov.uk
Monday 23 February 2004 12.17pm
Surely most of the lights in question are on the Lambeth side?
Monday 23 February 2004 1.10pm
The stretch of lights immediately east of Blackfriars Bridge was notoriously unreliable a few years ago. I haven't walked that stretch recently - are they still causing problems?
Monday 23 February 2004 1.45pm
James - it's Lambeth from the South Bank Centre to the London Eye and beyond, but the worst lit parts of the riverside walkway by far are in Southwark, between London and Blackfriars Bridges
Monday 23 February 2004 1.49pm
I was talking about the festoons of small bulbs which are mostly in Lambeth

I don't doubt that the lighting on Bankside is problematic too.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 13 February 2005 7.50pm
I noticed today that the lighting west of Blackfriars Bridge is currently being repaired.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 13 February 2005 11.42pm
Lang Rabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> They might try and see how the cost of a
> sustainable restoration of all the lamps with low
> energy bulbs compares with the amount of public
> money squandered on the abortive Shell Electric
> Storm project.

The existing festoon lighting is probably as economical as you can get. There's nothing wrong with it I'm sure. The cost per bulb is less than 10 pence so it's purely a case of organising the labour to change them.
As is so often the case, it seems easier to raise large sums of money for new projects than raise relatively tiny sums to maintain existing ones.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: