Ideas for a restaurant with a private room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 2 September 2009 11.24am
We're going to be having a celebration next spring and I wanted to hire a small restaurant or find a restaurant with a private room that will fit around 40 people. We're looking to have a fairly formal sit down meal rather than a buffet, and we want privacy so we don't just want a roped off area in a larger venue. A pub with an attached restaurant (such as The Mayflower) would also do the trick.

We'd probably need something European as some of my older and fussier relatives wouldn't get on with Asian or anything that they don't recognise! Budget isn't an issue - we're going to splash out.

Has anyone got any recommendations or ideas?

We're having tremendous fun trying out places, but often the space isn't right (e.g. Pont de la Tour - private room is too small, Magdelena awkward shape). We'd like somewhere that can fit 3 or 4 large tables of 10 or so people or perhaps arrange the tables in a U shape square.

I look forward to trying out your suggestions!
Wednesday 2 September 2009 1.21pm
There is a decent size private room at Gaucho, More place. Possibly worth a look, but your more elderly relatives may find it a slightly dark space for a celebration.

Good luck in your search!
Wednesday 2 September 2009 3.14pm
?? Tower Bridge, perhaps??

Depending on the size of boat you're planning to push out...

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 2 September 2009 7.12pm
We hired out RSJ restaurant (Stamford St) for a pre-wedding lunch on a Saturday and it was fantastic. Food is perfect for a mixture of ages/tastes and it's very reasonable. And the room is light and airy. The owner Nigel and his staff are so professional, it ran really smoothly. Highly recommend!
Thursday 3 September 2009 10.11am
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've looked into Tower Bridge already, I like the idea but as they use outside caterers, I'm a little nervous of using them.

Gaucho looks to be a bit "modern" for our tastes, but I'll investigate further.

RSJ looks ideal, I'm definitely going to check that one out in the very near future!
Thursday 3 September 2009 12.41pm
Try Cotto on Westminster Bridge Road. I love the food there and the staff/owners are lovely. They have a room upstairs that they use for private functions.
Thursday 3 September 2009 1.01pm
What about Browns in Butlers Wharf?
Thursday 3 September 2009 1.06pm
I'd second the tip for RSJ. Good food and interesting wines (only drawback for me is that their upstairs room is a bit noisy - a lot of hard surfaces reflect the sound. But a party needs some noise....).

Also, what about the restaurant at The Globe? Lovely setting (although I've never eaten there).

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 3 September 2009 4.16pm
We did a corporate event at The Globe. It was a total disaster.

As an apology they invited the whole of our department (around 40 people) for a meal there. This was much more successful and in their downstairs function room (the only downside being no windows but it is a nice room). The food, wine and service were all good.

So I guess I'm saying they can do well, but not always.
Thursday 3 September 2009 8.09pm
I have used both RSJ and the top floor of the Globe for private functions. RSJ have a room at the front but I don't think it takes 40, but I think you could get 40 downstairs ( Posh and Becks had a do there some time ago, but don't let that put you off, ask Nigel about the connection).

The top floor of the Globe was very good, but I guess it can be a bit hit and miss as it is less personal and more corporate.

Hope you have a great time.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: