Can someone lend me an Apple Mac G64 Laptop cord?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 4 September 2009 10.45pm
Hi all - The power cord for my wife's (very ancient) Mac laptop has frayed and fried.

Anyone in the neighbourhood that might have a working power cord we could please borrow for a week or so till we get a proper replacement?

Chris
Saturday 5 September 2009 3.20am
You mean the G4, surely?
Saturday 5 September 2009 7.42am
Indeed. It was a late-night typo. And I'm a PC guy. :-)
Saturday 5 September 2009 8.51am
I've got one, there is a repair possible using some heat shrinking insulation tube, available from Maplin or Halfords, there are plenty on ebay & even proprietary replacementson online. I'll even have a go at fixing it.
Saturday 5 September 2009 9.24am
Hi Graham - thanks for the tips. We're probably talking about the same thing - it's the bit of the cord just by the part that plugs into the laptop itself.

This part of the cable frayed some time ago and I repaired is using duct tape. We then bought a new cord which worked fine for a year, but the same thing - worse, actually - happened to the new cord so we binned that and reverted to the old one.

I suspect this is beyond repair at this point. Ideally we'd like to get a new laptop but the budget doesn't allow for that now. :-) Kinda like replacing a car because the ash trays are dirty.

I found this on eBay - do you think it's suitable? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G4-POWERBOOK-LAPTOP-AC-POWER-ADAPTER-CORD-FOR-APPLE-45W_W0QQitemZ270449939047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PowerSupplies?hash=item3ef8129267&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I'm a bit confused about the difference of 45W and 65W - I don't want to burn out the laptop itself.

Cheers,
Chris
Saturday 5 September 2009 6.11pm
Sorry for non Mac users here
The larger models, 17" and 15" have...er larger screens, & need more juice, but only if you are playing music, using photoshop, and editing video, with a flat battery that needs charging at the same time (in the dark with the keys lit up). Your choice ultimately! What size screen is it? They never come up second hand because the flex takes the jerk when you trip over the cord. I think that's why Apple changed to 'magsafe' with the later models. The fact there are replacement power supplies indicates people are keeping their Powerbooks in use - My 12" is still running despite the cycle accident.
blah blah mac, blah blah no right click, blah blah Steve Ives....
Saturday 5 September 2009 6.31pm
Cheers, Graham. It's a 12" and she mostly uses it for office applications - no heavy duty gaming or video editing.... I guess the 45W would do the trick?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: