Conman In Leathermarket Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 7 September 2009 10.36am
I remebered there have been articles about this previously but couldn't find them

A young(ish) Asian guy was asking for money (£25) to unclamp his car last night around 8pm in Leathermarket Street. He said his parents owned the newsagents in Bermondsey Street and his dad was on his way with the money but he needed it before the clampers went home for the night. He even offered his mobile phone number and promised to get his dad to reimburse me later in the evening when he had arrived with the cash from home in Bromley.

Be aware people.
Monday 7 September 2009 12.05pm
This sounds like the same guy who has previously tried blagging money by making out he owns the dry cleaners on Crosby Row. He has had a remarkable amount of success and doesn't seem to have been busted yet.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 11.37am
Is it the same man in this thread?
Tuesday 8 September 2009 11.52am
I hadnt seen this thread before.

A smilar man (Asian, 25-30ish) claimed to own the pizza place on Trinity Street and needed money to de-clamp their van. It was after they'd closed. Thankfully I was supicious enough to decline.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 12.13pm
Yes beetroot...looks like the guy
Wednesday 9 September 2009 3.07pm
My partner returned home after a night out at approx 1.30am (Sunday morning) He was approached by similar guy on Long Lane by Tesco's

The guy said his car was clamped with all the chickens from the restaurant (Simple India) inside it and the owner is on his way, but needs to empty the chickens and put them in the fridge etc. He then said that the clampers are on the way to release the car but he's £20 short. My partner being the nice guy that he is gave the guy £40!! (He did get a good telling off from me)

My partner said he saw no car and that the guy said it was parked a good distance away.

Before leaving £40 richer the guy said to call the restaurant at anytime and they will arrange for a free meal along with the £40 back. Needless to say neither of us called the restaurant as i knew immediately that it was part of a scam.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 8.33pm
It's been suggested to me that the guy in question, while superficially affable, has been violent on at least one occasion after having no joy with his patter.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 8.52pm
longlaner wrote:
It's been suggested to me that the guy in question, while superficially affable, has been violent on at least one occasion after having no joy with his patter.

Best way to get away from these scammers is to pretend you speak no english and have no idea what they mean ..they soon lose interest
Thursday 10 September 2009 6.39am
I would imagine many of these types of encounter are potentially volatile given the likely desperate nature of the action.
Saturday 24 October 2009 8.08am
urbanite wrote:
I remebered there have been articles about this previously but couldn't find them
A young(ish) Asian guy was asking for money (£25) to unclamp his car last night around 8pm in Leathermarket Street. He said his parents owned the newsagents in Bermondsey Street and his dad was on his way with the money but he needed it before the clampers went home for the night. He even offered his mobile phone number and promised to get his dad to reimburse me later in the evening when he had arrived with the cash from home in Bromley.

Be aware people.

Hi,

I'm a recent newcomer to the area and have been lurking here for a while, but following an encounter with a well reported conman, I thought I'd register and say thanks.

I was walking along Tanner Street yesterday and was given the same well rehearsed patter as shown above. This time he was the owner of the off licence on the corner of Bermondsey Street, and had some stock in his van that was about to be towed. It didn't seem particularly plausible, and I had a nagging feeling that I'd read about this guy already. Once we got the inevitable financials, I gave him a smile and a ‘Sorry mate' and went on my way.

Anyway, thanks for the warning, and be aware that it is still going on.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: