62-68 Union St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 7 September 2009 8.09pm
Tuesday 8 September 2009 11.07am
Now we just need a Dispersal Order to tackle the large crowd of drinkers and sleepers in the square outside...
Tuesday 8 September 2009 2.52pm
How exciting. I wonder who they belong to and what they'll be - does anyone know?

One of them has an old poster stuck on it for "The Sugar Beat Club" - does anyone remember what this club was? I also heard that one of the buildings used to be a green grocers.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 3.12pm
Network Rail is the owner.

I haven't read all the docs but this looks like an application to stabilise/secure the building to get English Heritage off their backs, rather than a proposal to bring the space into use.

Similar to what happened with the LSBU terraces around St George's Circus, though those remain on the 'at risk' register despite the stabilisation work.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 4.15pm
For those not familiar with the place -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42391835@N00/3900060411/in/set-72157622182580165/

The buildings are in a pretty sorry state; crumbling staircase, entire floor about to collapse, no roof, etc.

I do know someone who used to go to the club. I was surprised to learn it wasn't so long ago (assuming the eigthies isn't that far back) that it remained open. The Sugar Beat Club used to be a jazz style hangout and cafe, run by a couple that lived above it. At some point they disappeared and the building was closed down for being structurally unsound. I'm told there are photos somewhere if they can be found so will keep you posted. And yes Mini, next door was a greengrocers, hard to credit them as being so full of life looking at the poor state of them today.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 5.26pm
James Hatts wrote:
Similar to what happened with the LSBU terraces around St George's Circus, though those remain on the 'at risk' register despite the stabilisation work.

A tutor told me that LSBU has always had plans to build on the land those nice old buildings are on, and were waiting for them to become so bad they get condemned.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 6.06pm
Why is this planning application listed as '62-68' given as it is only two properties?
Tuesday 8 September 2009 7.54pm
Just went an answered my own question. I see they used to have four separate doorways, so I guess these were smaller shops previously.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 8.48pm
Those building really add to the character of the street, I'm glad to hear they are being
Protected from more damage.

Network rail are doing enough damage at Borough market.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 1.45pm
Tolstoy, seems like your Flickr photo is set to private, so at least I can't see it, but here is Google Maps link to the houses:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=62+Union+St,+Camberwell,+Greater+London+SE1+1,+United+Kingdom&ie=UTF8&oi=georefine&ct=clnk&cd=10&geocode=FUnjEQMdZI3-_w&split=0

I hope the link works, did not find a way of linking directly to the Street view there. (and why has nobody told Google we are not in Camberwell?)

Now I hope my memory does not fail me, but as these properties back up to the railway arches that are now the night club called The Arches, I think one of those doors was also a sort of back door to the club once? I used to work there occasionally when it was run by a bunch of South Africans as a rugby/sports bar and the offices were somehow right behind the Union Street facade. There were also loads of the bar staff living there as well, would have been like the first floor on Union Street. Now that scaffolding looks older than the 9 years I am talking about, so not sure when the said fire would have been or whether all the houses are connected from the back. I have been wondering whethere the club would not have use for that extra bit, then again it might not be part of their lease and suppose it is up to Network Rail (is it no longer Spacia?) to do the work needed.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: