Conman fleecing public money Alert!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7
Tuesday 8 September 2009 7.43am
Beware of a man of Asian origin (Pakistani) and goes by the name of Mahmood Khan asking for help. I was fleeced of my money by him.

I was walking along the Southbank when the man approached. He asked to borrow some money as his car ran out of fuel. He promised to return me the money once he is back on his car. He even took my telephone number and promised to contact me.

He gave me his ID card as a collateral and I thought what else could I have asked for. So I lent him the money.

He never returned. When I called the company of his ID, they said he has left the company since February. I lodged a police report and the police say there's nothing much they could do if I've given him the money voluntarily.

So, please beware of this man if you ever come across him. Thank God I have his ID you can see how he looks like. The least I can do now is to share this information so that no more of us will be fleeced of our hard-earned money in this difficult times.

Description of man (image of conman as provided in link below):
Asian, 6ft tall, thin, decently dressed and operates around the Waterloo/Southwark vicinity

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0TGxvjQeu1EMKgCVfznNuA?feat=directlink
Tuesday 8 September 2009 7.44am
Tuesday 8 September 2009 8.41am
Seems odd he would give you genuine id. I simply wouldn't spare the time to listen to these stories. If someone comes up to you in the street asking for money, just say no and walk by. The more elaborate the story, the greater the con.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 10.26am
I`ve been stopped a few time by people with hard luck stories, I always say I have`nt got any money on me. The ID card is out of date, that should have been a dead give away.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 10.46am
I notice his ID is a fair few months out of date.

It's a shame he isn't PCO (Public Carriage Office) registered. This would mean he has been police checked to be a mini cab driver and they have his current home address (it's an offence not to keep them updated) and full details.

I'm sure the police can contact Premier Disptach for his last known address though...
Tuesday 8 September 2009 2.30pm
Fraud is a serious criminal offence, so don't let the police fob you off with that "can't be bothered" attitude.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 6.47pm
Sorry to hear you've been conned, Ajyap. I agree with all the other comments. e.g. 'fraud' is a crime. So is, or used to be, obtaining money or property on false pretenses. What's he going to get next with his hard luck story? Some poor old lady's pension? The bloke is a con man plain and simple, and if there's no law against that then they may as well scrap the whole b****y book! The police could find him easilly enough if they wanted to, but there's the rub. I'm not criticizing the police, in this day and age they quite simply have bigger fish to fry. I don't mean to sound clever after the event, but I posted a message a few weeks ago about being aproached by smartly dressed young men with plausable stories asking for money. Your case is just the latest example.... Prepare for the next one! you could seek legal advice, but that's expensive and you don't want to throw good money after bad. Perhaps a chat with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau? It's free and they may take up your case before anyone else gets relieved of their hard, and honestly, earned cash!
Tuesday 8 September 2009 9.27pm
Thank you all so much for your advice. This is the first time I've been conned. I always thought I was street-wise enough. Well, getting the ID as a collateral was one of those "smart" thing to do. I didn't realise about the expiry date of the ID until I looked at it again!

I will be more careful next time. I was quite frustrated when the police say they couldn't do anything. Maybe I will pop over to the Citizens Advice Bureau on Friday when I am more free.

Thank you all again!!
Tuesday 8 September 2009 9.33pm
He tried to con urbanite at Leathermarket Gardens. See here.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 7.20am
This is quite an "old" scam :

7. The petrol scam: Another golden oldie, the petrol scam is a face to face job. Essentially, the scammer approaches you saying that they have run out of petrol. They ask to borrow anything from 5 to 25 for petrol, leaving their car keys with you as security. In most cases it turns out that there is no car, rendering those keys worthless and you're out of pocket to the tune of up to 25.

it has different variations and has been around a long time. Think it was first picked up on the internet in 2004 : money for petrol scam

Hence why i never give anyone money !! If you get asked by one of the various types around waterloo station for a 1 to help them get a train ticket home , just direct them to the BTP office and point out if they are stuck and need help to get home the BTP can issue them a travel warrent - they always make excuses and walk off then :)

Although a scam i saw on the Cut last week did make me chuckle (and beware they are STILL pulling this trick) Girl who looks around 7-8 months pregnant walks along stopping at the various cafes/pubs along the cut asking for a few quid . Of course the fact that she is pregnant gets the sympathy vote and people nearly always give her money. Looked a bit iffy to me as i had seen her a few weeks ago and she was definately not several months pregnant. I watched her and as she got to where the 24 hour shop is under the bail hostel by the new vic , she gave the thumbs up to a guy across the road , pulled out a pillow from under her jumper and the two of them came out the off licence 5 mins later with several bottles of cider !!!

have to at least give them 10/10 for effort lol

[edited June 2014 to add link to money.co.uk after complaint received]
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 1 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: