Southwark Cathedral Annoyance Bells

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 23 February 2004 5.00pm
For anyone contemplating a move next to the Borough Market, consider the annoyance of the noise levels generated by the Southwark Cathedral bells. It appears this has become a semi permanent and no matter if you have double glazing the sound is deafening...its goes on for over an hour on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. Winchester Walk future residence caveat emptor!
Monday 23 February 2004 5.09pm
Ringing times are shown on the Southwark Bellringers website:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 February 2004 5.28pm
But Lulu,

wouldn't anyone considering moving to live between a market that operates six days out of seven, and a Cathedral (that, and maybe I'm going out on a bit of a limb here, one might imagine gets mildly busy on the seventh day), already be anticipating a bit of noise?

[and that's before you think about the existing railway line, and then the new railway line, and the pubs that open before most people get out of bed]

and is it really an "annoyance" that a cathedral rings its bells? perhaps it's the same sort of "annoyance" that barges were to people living on the river near Tower Bridge.

i still think it would be a great place to live. and you've really got to think of the long term investment potential. buy now, and in a few years' time, they'll have closed down the cathedral (dwindling uptake of organised religion), moved the wholesale market to somewhere grubbier, and turned the market boozers into well-reviewed gastopubs, then you'd be quids in.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 23 February 2004 5.57pm
I think that 250,000 for "a small and perfectly formed apartment" (i.e.460 square foot 1 bedroom flat!) in Winchester Stables is more of a deterrent than the bells.
Monday 23 February 2004 6.05pm
ride the bubble Rabbie, ride the bubble. Buy the flat, ride the bubble.

[and i've got some lovely tulips that you might be interested in as well.]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 23 February 2004 7.03pm
Those campanologists !!.
Must have a lot of time on their hands, or are the bells automated ?
Monday 23 February 2004 7.05pm
Automated? No - see the Bellringers link I posted above!

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 23 February 2004 8.27pm
Great bells.wav on that site. Although it suggests all campanological (is that a word ?) activities are manual. No mention of the bells being auotmated and/or being linked to and played from the organ.
Tuesday 24 February 2004 12.34am
Referring to another post, perhaps Derek Jarman might just be saddened by the changes overwhelming SE1.

It seems that Southwark Cathedral isn't the only source of annoyance for new residents. I'm told that residents opposite St Mary Magdalene's have complained because the bells there have been rung. I mean really darling, its only a church afterall and who needs those?

It does make me wonder quite what sort of sanitised life is expected in the inner city. Let me see:

Lots of parking space but no congestion when I drive my car.

Lots of character but only the character that suits me.

Only the type of noise that I like and only when it suits me.

Lots of appreciation in property values but housing for the poor (as long as its not next to my apartment).

What was that phrase from that movie.........."whoops there goes the neighbourhood".

Niall Connolly
Tuesday 24 February 2004 1.23am
Ah, it's not just an inner city thing. I was born and raised in the country (though I have to say - in case anyone thinks that this shatters my SE1 credentials - that one of my Grandmothers came from Southwark) and I remember people moving to our village and complaining about the smell from the pig-farm.... and the mud on the roads.... and the fact there were no shops....

Some people just complain no matter what.

Personally, I love the sound of church bells. And I love the fact you hear so many different church bells in London - especially around the city when it's empty on Sundays.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: