Southwark Cathedral Annoyance Bells

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
jan
Tuesday 24 February 2004 6.48am
For whom the bells toll....Boots do a very efficient earplug....or even two!

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Tuesday 24 February 2004 8.02am
As noises go... I find it soothing an somehow reassuring.

Can anyone else hear Big Ben on a quiet night if the ind is in the right direction?
Tuesday 24 February 2004 8.11am
I love the sound of church bells. I am born and raised in Amsterdam and have lived for 13 years next to the Westerkerk and heard the bells every 15 minutes.

The hiding place of Anne Frank was right next door and she as well described these bells as comforting and re-assuring.

I don't have any religion nor any religious affinity, but the sound of church bells on a quiet Sunday gives me a pleasantly peaceful feeling.
Tuesday 24 February 2004 8.51am
Without bells, where would the Cockneys be?
Tuesday 24 February 2004 9.47am
I often hear B.B. in the early hours dave, I love the sound, makes me feel warm..I know I know reminiscing again about the Thames, bridges, swimming near tower bridge again!!!

jan
Tuesday 24 February 2004 12.15pm
Annoyance! I'd _pay_ 250,000 to move my house to next door to Southwark Cathedral. I can just hear, when it's quiet, some bells that chime the quarter hour - Grange Road; anybody any idea which church it is?

In the nicest possible way, those bells have been chiming for rather a lot of years; they are a feature of the area. As a new 'homeowner' (sic) seeking to change the area for your own desires I have no sympathy at all. As well complain about the foxhounds meeting at a smelly dairy farm when you finally make that dream move out of the city to the country!

Once the whole world is sanitised, and you can buy a Starbucks at every street corner & village shop, then I'm sure you'll be happy. Until then, don't expect my sympathy!
Tuesday 24 February 2004 12.23pm
Lulu- I'm sure that once you are used to it, you'd miss the sound of the bells if they weren't ringing. Moreover, Mapmaker is right in that respect: many generations have been listening to the same bells for centuries; doesn't that give a wonderful sense of history?
Tuesday 24 February 2004 1.41pm
mm,

surely you get to hear plenty of bells when you go down to your country manor at weekends? Or does the estate chapel need some work doing to it?

[still angling for an invitation]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 24 February 2004 1.42pm
Mapmaker - it might be the bells from St Mary Magdalen on Bermondsey Street that you can hear.
rm
Tuesday 24 February 2004 2.57pm
Mapmaker -

Could be bells from St James on corner of Jamaica Road.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network