Great River Race

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 11 September 2009 11.58am
Me and my team were one of those groups that got rescured twice. The rescue team done a smashing job in making sure everyone was safe before departing to rescue more of us unfortunate people. I would like to say a big thanks and as much as the thames was cold and a bit scummy i will be entering again next year

Related news & features

Friday 11 September 2009 1.07pm
The rescue teams really earnt their money that day, thank God they were there. Why did so many boats capsize/sink Britchic?
Tuesday 22 September 2009 6.40pm
There is no need or excuse for the sinking of dragon boats in the river race . They should carry a block of polystyrene cable-tied underneath each seat. They should carry a forward-facing lookout and the coxes should understand how their boats act in a fast tide stream especially when approaching bridges.
I don't want to read this in a coroner's report.

The rescue guys did a great job but if a boat ever sinks with its crew trying to get round under the bow of a moored lighter, there wouldnt be much left of any crew member who went its length underneath.All GRR boats and their skippers need to be able to cope with local conditions rather than depend on rescue services which can't always be there in time.
Rowing the Thames tideway is great,keep it safe.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: