Kings Arms and Street Furniture?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 12 September 2009 9.43am
Hi all -

What's the scoop regarding Kings Arms (Tooley Street) and their street furniture?

I passed by there yesterday and saw large signs in the window indicating that Southwark Council has required them to move their tables, chairs, etc.

I am puzzled - having furniture there didn't seem to cause any problems, or obstruct traffic on the pavement. Quite the opposite - a pleasant way to watch the world go by over a pint.

Not sure if I've missed a thread on this - any ideas guys?

Chris
Saturday 12 September 2009 11.20am
I noticed the furniture had gone but thought they'd put it in due to end of summer etc - didn't see the sign. Bit of a shame as it didn't cause any problems - we live opposite in Devon Mansions and it's never really noisy or a problem and is a nice place to have a pint.
Saturday 19 September 2009 9.11am
Apparently they didn't have the correct authority from the council. They were happy to pay the required fee but have been told they can't use the furniture until they actually receive the certificate which could take weeks & weeks. They are requesting that people drop a line to Simon Hughes to get it sorted out. In the meantime there will be no sitting outside in the sunshine !
Saturday 19 September 2009 10.44am
Thanks Sarah.

Gosh - height of bureaucracy, isn't it? As long as I've known them to be there I haven't heard any issue about the pub - surely the council could have fast-tracked a provisional license given their (apparently) excellent track record.

You're right about the sunshine (especially going into the weeks leading up to winter) - are the council punishing the pub... Or us, their customers?

I'm popping a note to Mr Hughes in support...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: