Thames Festival.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 14 September 2009 1.50pm
Three cheers for the Thames Festival!
Perhaps I don't get out often enough and could be too easilly impressed, but I had a great time at the festival yesterday. The South Bank was a comsopolitan delight! It was great to be back in South-East London, my spiritual home which, for the first twenty-two years of my life was my actual home. I may have rubbed shoulders with some of you yesterday without knowing. During that first twenty-two years I only saw Tower Bridge opening once, but I saw it again yesterday. Did they lay that on just for me I wonder.
I hope my memory isn't playing tricks, but I'm sure I remember seeing a report in a newspaper from the 1950's when, due to some fault,Tower Bridge began to open unexpectedly and a bus had to leap the small gap that had opened up. Can anyone corroborate this? Pity we had to leave before the firework display, but my youngest had school today and we didn't get home til 10.45 as it was. The last display I saw over the Thames was after a Lord Mayor's show back in the mid-eighties. That display reputedly cost 100,000! I couldn't hazzard a guess how much yesterday's cost. It would without doubt been bigger and better to boot.
Monday 14 September 2009 4.08pm
Having done a little research I can answer my own question re the above. In December 1952 a number 78 bus was on the bridge when, due to a misunderstanding between two of the bridge operatives, (one of whom was a temporary replacement) the bridge began to open before the warning signals could be sounded or the gates closed. The bus driver, to his credit, made the snap decicion to accelerate and cleared the three foot gap. No on was injured.
Monday 14 September 2009 6.26pm
The 78's a little single storey now. Was it a double decker back then? I hope so, even more exciting!
Monday 14 September 2009 6.54pm
Oh yes, Beetroot, it certainly was a double decker! An old 'RT' which was the predecessor to the 'Routemaster.'
Monday 14 September 2009 8.09pm
I thought the fireworks were very good, it's a shame we don't get more on the Thames.
Monday 14 September 2009 8.13pm
I agree, The Thames Festival is always such a good occasion; huge crowds and such a friendly atmosphere. Couldn't go yesterday as I was a tad under the weather but I did watch the fireworks from my kitchen window, and I thought them the best yet. The finale was amazing; huge gold florets exploding one after the other until they filled the sky with glitter. Do wish they were a bit earlier though as my neighbour would have liked to take his daughter but it was way past her bedtime.
Monday 14 September 2009 9.06pm
I agree, the fireworks were awesome - and it was a much better location between Blackfriars and Waterloo bridges.
Monday 14 September 2009 9.12pm
I'm so homesick!
Wednesday 16 September 2009 12.35am
I found the Fire Garden absolutely surreal and very special. Something primal about groups of people congregating by and being mesmerised by fire.
Wednesday 16 September 2009 8.32am
halkey, my sister and aunt were on that bus...and for years i thought they had made it up at first...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: