Southwark Crown Court; which cases

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 September 2009 10.18pm

Can anyone help me with understanding which court cases are due every day at Southwark Crown Court? I tried their website, but couldn't find the calender.

I am interested in a particular case which is due this month. Any other way of finding out about proceedings and verdicts?

Many thanks!

Tuesday 15 September 2009 11.02pm
Hmmm, I did jury service at Old Bailey, and the details of the trial being held in a particular court were publicly available, in glass cases outside the court, for all to see. I am not sure if this is a legal requirement, but you could walk past and inquire.
Wednesday 16 September 2009 10.13am
The court lists are published daily on the website - just select the court and you should be able to find out.

Sometimes causes are 'warned' which means that the actual hearing can take place any time during, say, a two-week period and so the case will be called on as soon as a courtroom becomes free. The lists are published at about 3:00 p.m. each day showing cases on the following day.

As for finding out the result of a case, you can simply call the court and ask for 'results' or 'post-court' - just give them the defendant's/defendants' name(s) and they will tell you the outcome. You don't need to give any details identifying yourself as all of this information is (unless the case concerns a child or there is a reporting restriction) in the public domain.

Hope that's of some help.
Thursday 4 February 2016 1.17am
Hello from Australia. I have an interest in two cases running at Southwark at the moment but when I tried to register on courtserv, I was told that "Please note that due to restrictions under the Data Protection Act, we are unable to accept registrations from individuals or organisations outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)". The cases are Serious Fraud Office prosecuting Jack Flader and James Sutherland. I have found the Twitter page so all I know is that they are in Room 4 at 10.24. How do I find out what the charges are and any other details? Yours, Jolyon Sykes
Thursday 4 February 2016 1.26am
I suggest you use the Firefox add-on called ZenMate: it should allow you to browse as an EU user.
Thursday 4 February 2016 8.55am
Jolyon, the SFO office has a page here (

Also, although it's not detailed, you can use XHIBIT, which is an electronic updating system used by HMCTS ( It will tell you, for example, that prosecution counsel is opening, a witness is being examined or cross-examined, counsel is closing, etc.

There is also some information here (,%20Sutherland%20%26%20Revell-Reade.pdf). You may have already read this document though as it does originate from Aus.
Thursday 4 February 2016 12.57pm
If the case is a sensitive one, ie. Involving children all you used to see was defendants name, not the offence.
Friday 5 February 2016 3.23pm
I am a Magistrate on the Central London Bench and I also sit in the Crown Court in appeal cases.

Gavin Smith is correct in his directions but one should keep in mind that the case list can change significantly on the day of the sittings. This may be either because the Crown Prosecution asks for an adjournment or the defence lawyers see reasons for adjourning the case, awaiting evidence or witnesses.
Should the defendant be held in custody, then proceedings are often delayed as a result of limited resources to transport the defendant from prison to the court house.

In other words: a day in court is subject to many changes and life in the Judiciary can be very slow.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: