3am License Great Suffolk St/Borough High St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 16 September 2009 4.55pm
Just noticed that what used to be the big supermarket/off license on Borough High Street (opposite police station and next to The Ship) is being turned into a bar/night club. Seems to be the cafe next door (MAM Cafe) who have bought it.

I live just round the corner so not that impressed.

Wednesday 16 September 2009 6.22pm
The trading address for that licence variation is 282-302 BHS - which is the address of the MAM Internet Cafe (see here for Streetview - http://tinyurl.com/qf2kjt).

It's a licence to allow alcohol, music and dancing (all 3 tend to be part of a package with the new licencing laws even if they dont intend to give space over the dancing).

I'll ask LB Southwark for clarification, but it doesnt appear to relate to the old Costcutter but to the smaller property.

Not least it would require a Planning Change of Use to go from a Retail Shope (A2) to a bar or cafe or restaurant (A3), followed by an application for a new licence. Whereas this is for a variation of an exisiting licence to amend what's allowed and when.
Thursday 17 September 2009 11.23am
tbf, if anyone wants to hang out drinking and/or dancing in a grim space underneath student halls on a dull bit of BHS, then good luck to them

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 17 September 2009 1.12pm
Would that be 3am every night or sorry morning licence? or just sat, sund..
Saturday 19 September 2009 11.32pm
I too noticed the sign go up this week along with the new chargable to use ATM outside a month back or so too.

Inside MAM I see the partition wall looks a bit rough as if they are going to remove it to knock through to premises next door.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 4.22pm
Rumours about the Costcutter have been rife for some time..and the noise and general building type of activities behind the shutters seem to point out that indeed the 3am licence applies to Costcutter rather than the cafe next to it. As a local who already has to put up with the side effects of over partying i.e vomit, urine, noise and other antisocial behaviours due to late licensing on Borough High Street, I am also very much concerned about it.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 5.45pm
I was walking past yesterday afternoon and noticed someone taking the notice down. When I asked why he said his boss had asked him to take it down as the consultation period was finished. I said this didn't seem to tie in with the dates on the notice and he said he would go and speak to his boss again. However I can't seem to find the application on the Southwark licensing website so perhaps the application has been withdrawn?

On the matter of Licensing I have had some dealings (as an objector) with the Southwark Licensing Unit in the past and found them very helpful. So it's always worth objecting or asking for conditions to be attached to any license.
Wednesday 23 September 2009 9.40am
I have just checked Southwark Licensing website. They have logged a new application yesterday No 830601!
Monday 28 September 2009 2.51pm

You are correct!

The application has actually just been re-submitted, and it is for a new licence covering the former convenience store, although it is rather confusing.

Although it is in the name of 'MAM Cafe/Restaurant', they have both recently changed hands, and it applies to the shop next door to MAM.

If anyone has strong objections they really should send them to Southwark Council.

The licencing page of the web-site tells people what they need to do:

The new application is at:

If you do object it is very important that letters/emails refer to the specific issues in the list
of reasons for objecting.

You can also talk to the licensing unit direct about your concerns on 020 7525 2000.

One of the things that really concerns me is that there does not appear to be any planning consent granted for this yet, even though the licence is being sought.
Saturday 10 October 2009 12.53pm
Last date for objections has been extended to November 3rd
due to further irregularities with the notice going up.

Have just taken a look at the planning file for this, and it is fairly clear
that a full planning application will also have to be submitted in a while.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: