Wing mirror/electric motor thief alert - Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 20 September 2009 11.00am
Had my car parked on Tooley Street last night. Got up this morning to find that some 'person' has stolen both wing mirrors and the electric motor behind. I initially called the police thinking it was just my car that had been targeted but an hour or so later I walked round into Fair Street to find that virtually every car with electric wing mirrors has had the same treatment - we're talking about 25 odd cars.

anyone in zone G should check their car
Monday 21 September 2009 12.02pm
Gavin
What sort of car do you have?
Were they all the smae make?
Monday 21 September 2009 12.21pm
Mine is a Renault Espace, Sue, but they seemed to do many sorts (Mercedes, BMW, a taxi-cab, other Renaults).

That said, he seemed to take both mirrors from the Renaults (he only took one mirror from a lot of the other cars).

It isn't looking cheap - about 40 for each bit of mirror glass so a total of 80. Renault said that mine are the most expensive of all Renaults for wing mirror glass.

Has the same happened to you, Sue (or indeed anyone else)? The police wanted me to take the car to Camberwell for forensic testing (only as I asked) at 8am today but I couldn't as I'm working. It wouldn't be safe for me to drive such a large car without wing mirrors either as I could take a cyclist/motorbiker off without seeing them.
Monday 21 September 2009 5.34pm
Is it legal to drive a car (which was originally sold with mirrors) without mirrors?

I'd have thought not, (but I'd stress this is just my hunch).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 21 September 2009 6.43pm
it's not legal - car must have at least two mirrors, one of which must be a wing mirror - if car was fitted at any stage with mirrors.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 2.59pm
My car was parked on Fair Street and had one wing mirror stolen on Saturday night. It's not so long ago since someone smashed my other one so I was not very happy! I reported it to the Police who advised that there is a spate of it in the area at the moment.

My advice is for everyone to be extra vigilant and to report anything that happens to the local Police so that we might have a chance of stopping it from happening again.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 5.15pm
Hi Alex

Good to hear from another victim - if that doesn't sound right then I apologise.

The attitude of the police was generally appalling although I did speak to one police officer who was understanding although there was little to do. The police wanted me to take the car to the back of Camberwell police station at 8am on Monday morning - I mean do they not realise that people go to work! However, when I spoke to her I thought I was the only victim.

When I put the car in Fair Street and discovered everyone else's cars had suffered a similiar fate, I called back and the attitude of the woman I spoke to was shocking; in other words, the police have better things to do than investigate petty crime and it was wholly unreasonable of me to expect someone to attempt to take fingerprints and basically said it was my word against whoever's that it had happened! She then attempted to give me some sort of lesson in gathering criminal evidence!

I then told her that I work in the law (although, admittedly, not criminal law) and so know about evidential requirements. Her whole tone then changed and she said she would get the officer dealing with the case to get in touch with me - I am still waiting!

I don't know about you, but Renault wanted 130 for two mirror glasses - I've eventually got them for 50 but if you do the maths on even 50 and then times that by, say, 25 cars (my estimation of the vehicles affected), that is still a mega sum and yet, despite the council tax we pay, we can't summons the police (I say council tax because it is this that supposedly for the police, not income or other tax).

Whoever did it though is brazen because my car was actually on Tooley Street because Fair Street was jam packed with (non residents') cars and i couldn't park there, yet he still stole mine too.

BTW (and sorry to ramble on) I spoke to a guy who parked his car at midnight and, despite having electric mirrors, he escaped and so I am assuming that the culprit had been and gone by midnight?

What a nightmare though, eh - let's hope it's a one-off although your wing mirror being smashed a few months ago isn't exactly inspiring. I mean, I can appreciate being hard up, but stealing a wing mirror is surely very low?
Tuesday 22 September 2009 5.16pm
Hi Alex
Good to hear from another victim - if that doesn't sound right then I apologise.
The attitude of the police was generally appalling although I did speak to one police officer who was understanding although there was little to do. The police wanted me to take the car to the back of Camberwell police station at 8am on Monday morning - I mean do they not realise that people go to work! However, when I spoke to her I thought I was the only victim.
When I put the car in Fair Street and discovered everyone else's cars had suffered a similiar fate, I called back and the attitude of the woman I spoke to was shocking; in other words, the police have better things to do than investigate petty crime and it was wholly unreasonable of me to expect someone to attempt to take fingerprints and basically said it was my word against whoever's that it had happened! She then attempted to give me some sort of lesson in gathering criminal evidence!
I then told her that I work in the law (although, admittedly, not criminal law) and so know about evidential requirements. Her whole tone then changed and she said she would get the officer dealing with the case to get in touch with me - I am still waiting!
I don't know about you, but Renault wanted 130 for two mirror glasses - I've eventually got them for 50 but if you do the maths on even 50 and then times that by, say, 25 cars (my estimation of the vehicles affected), that is still a mega sum and yet, despite the council tax we pay, we can't summons the police (I say council tax because it is this that supposedly for the police, not income or other tax).
Whoever did it though is brazen because my car was actually on Tooley Street because Fair Street was jam packed with (non residents') cars and i couldn't park there, yet he still stole mine too.
BTW (and sorry to ramble on) I spoke to a guy who parked his car at midnight and, despite having electric mirrors, he escaped and so I am assuming that the culprit had been and gone by midnight?
What a nightmare though, eh - let's hope it's a one-off although your wing mirror being smashed a few months ago isn't exactly inspiring. I mean, I can appreciate being hard up, but stealing a wing mirror is surely very low?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: