Pretty railway arches in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 24 September 2009 5.03pm
Forgive the rather twee post, but I was walking home last night and not for the first time, I smiled inwardly when going underneath the arches at the top of Great Suffolk Street. I find the blue lights and the way TATE is spelt out so pretty. I also love the blue lighting under the arch on Webber Street, and I can't think where off the top of my head but I've definitely been through a pink arch in SE1 as well.

Getting to the point, eventually, does anyone know who's idea this was? And who funds it? Is it (gasp) a good use of our council tax payments on behalf of Southwark Council?

I think it adds such a lot to the urban feel and the arty atmosphere of the area. I love how the brickwork lights up - the perfect fusion of the post-modern and the industrial which is my favourite thing about living in SE1.

Anyone else like our not-just-functional lights in our railway arches?
Thursday 24 September 2009 9.11pm
ooh i can't stand the lit up arches

the tate sign makes sense i guess

.but the blue and pink arches are so soul destroying, if my soul needs destroying i can just walk up to bankside mix, it's a shame the tourist tat is sprawling further

i used to love the arch on webber st, all dark and victorian now it looks like a cheesy fairground ride, and i really don't get the pink lights, is it a homage to the man bar?

beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course :-)
Friday 25 September 2009 10.25am
se1fan - most (all?) of the railway arch lighting and art around Bankside has been funded through section 106 agreements relating to big local property developments like Bankside Mix, Palestra etc.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 26 September 2009 1.05am
Hahaha - Pixie - I love your reply! Each to our own, but I must say, I'll probably love the arches even more next time I wonder though them ;-) Got to say, I don't think they are in anyway tacky but I am smoothing down my mohair and admiring my acid washed jeans as I speak, so what do I know.

Thanks for the info James - I did think they were very un-southwark-council like.
Saturday 26 September 2009 6.44am
The money may have come from developers, but Southwark have commissioned and managed the projects, though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 26 September 2009 7.07am
The Elephant Links of blessed memory had a lighting project all around the E&C, which was also comprised of some rather lurid coloured lighting on all sorts of places in the E&C...but since now most of the bulbs have died and no one has maintained it, the point of such projects is questionable.
Saturday 26 September 2009 7.45am
Hey Se1fan..! I'm with you on this one, I LOVE the lighting too!
Saturday 26 September 2009 7.50am
so do I!! we have a a set of arches near us on Abbey Street that I hope will one day be transformed. Currently they are dark, wet and full of pigeons.... bring on the lurid lights!
Sunday 27 September 2009 10.25pm
The schemes in both Southwark and Lambeth were proposed as part of a programme funded by the "Cross River Partnership" regeneration programme called "Light at the End of the Tunnel", although as James says, a lot of the more ambitious schemes were funded by section 106 "planning gain" money from developers of nearby sites.

There is now a a weird incomplete proof for a glossy brochure to celebrate the completion of the project on CRP's website.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 2.50pm
I also like the coloured lighting in various arches in the area. It is a little disappointing this wasn't done during the recent refurbishment of Bermondsey Street tunnel, which ended up with a standard set of harsh, functional white lamps.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: