Poems about Waterloo Station and Waterloo area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 26 September 2009 11.51am
Hello everyone!

I have been searching for poems on the Internet which are about or even mention Waterloo Station/ Bridge or the area to be read out at the Network Theatre's 70th Anniversary celebration. It would be rather appropriate because the Network Theatre is situated underneath Waterloo Station and started life as a Railwayman's Theatre all those years ago in 1939.

I have found three poems so far which are:

'Guilt' by John Betjeman: which only mentions Waterloo in passing - there must be more from him...

'Waterloo Station'(love poem) by Charles Wiles

'After Lunch' by Wendy Cope

I love these last two poems!

So, I wondered if any SE1 members/ residents would know of anymore, please? And, if so would you point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks and Regards,

Barry Clarke
sic friat crustulum
Saturday 26 September 2009 12.12pm
I can think of a couple of songs
Saturday 26 September 2009 12.17pm

What are the songs, please?
There is an old 60's song called 'Waterloo Sunset isn't there? The Kinks?

sic friat crustulum
Saturday 26 September 2009 12.25pm
That was one of them. The other will be less known but will probably read really well as a poem. It's called Rocket's Tail by Kate Bush. She disagrees with her cat about whether a rocket looks like it's laughing or is sad. She puts on a rocket costume and fires herself off Waterloo Bridge.
Saturday 26 September 2009 12.29pm
Ha! That sounds a good one! I'll have a look at it.
Thanks very much for your help and so speedily too :-)

sic friat crustulum
Saturday 26 September 2009 2.17pm
Thanks for your help 'beetroot' - I have trawled away on't Internet and found quite a few interesting things on waterloo including the poem 'Eurydice' which adorns the walls of the Watreloo underpass....and even emailed The Poetry Library on the South Bank to see if they have any pointers.... :-)

sic friat crustulum
Saturday 26 September 2009 4.46pm
You say "Waterloo Station/Bridge or the area", so I would have thought that "Upon Westminster Bridge" by William Wordsworth was pretty close:

EARTH has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth like a garment wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!

I failed English Literature O Level but I have never forgotten the Wordsworth sonnets!
Saturday 26 September 2009 5.20pm
Hey! Thanks for that! Beautiful poem!
We only did 'The Prelude' by Wordsworth at school but that's Rastrick Grammar for you ;-) However, i ddi get my O-level in English Lit. I think. It was sooo long agao :-)
I have got to know him more having been to Dove Cottage and seeing Ken Russell's 'Clouds of Glory' duet of TV films on Wordsworth & Coleridge.
Saturday 26 September 2009 8.58pm
Bert Almon A Ghost in Waterloo Station

Despite the cover picture the title poem of the collection was supposedly inspired by the London mainline station
Sunday 27 September 2009 9.28am
Thanks Lang - I saw that and wondered if it was just a title that was an obscure quote from the text. But I will check it out.
Meanwhile I ahve founds lots of stuff which mention Waterloo in passing so we will sift through these at our rehearsal on Tuesday :-)

sic friat crustlum
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: