Turning empty sites at 360 London Oakmaybe Plaza into community garden

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 26 September 2009 12.16pm
This thread is inspired by Moulin Rouge's comment on the Strata thread:

"Maybe we should turn the empty sites at 360 London and Oakmayne Plaza into allotments or nice community gardens for the next few years at least? At least they would then be put to some use."

What a fantastic idea! Community gardens are less risky in case the land is contaminated, although veg. geowing is fine in containers. Surely it only takes the ingenuity of a few guerrilla garderners. How easy is it to access either of the sites? What is the likelihood of being accused of trespass?

I have a sneaky suspicion that it might motivate the developers to action! :)
Saturday 26 September 2009 6.20pm
I think this was/is being seriously considered for the Noho (hate that name) site just north of Oxford St. I'd be tempted to take an allotment space if they did do it
Saturday 26 September 2009 9.42pm
Undoubtedly you would be accused of 'trespass' but as occupying land is not a criminal offence, it would be up to the landowner to take you to court for possession rather than the police kicking you off the land. The old sign 'Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted' is a legal fiction.

It's not a particularly brilliant article from The Times but it does show what's possible - the example is from a current community land occupation in Kew:
http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/property/article6734067.ece

Wouldn't mind growing a few potatoes for myself somewhere!
TAK
Saturday 26 September 2009 10.02pm
Both sites have hoarding all around approx. 6ft high. So you'd have to 'break in' I guess unless of course the developer agrees for the land to be used in such a way in the mean-time.

I think this would be a very good idea - but have a feeling developer might be worried to give temporary use and then having to fight to regain the land once they wanna start building.....

The Oakmayne site was just used friday a week ago for a night long film shoot....
Monday 28 September 2009 11.20am
I know about the trespass not being a criminal offence law, but what I don't know is what the punishment is for civil infringement.

6ft high hoarding is not very high really... Technically, one could just climb over and take a look around. Are the sites just big holes at the moment? Is there any grass or earth in them at all, or are they both concrete?
Monday 28 September 2009 11.52am
Here's a pic of Oakmayne site:
Oakmayne Plaza
Monday 28 September 2009 5.44pm
Great idea - why not approach the developer(s) and see if they are keen? It would be great PR for them and the risk of not being able to get people off the land again could be minimised with a well draft licence agreement.
Friday 2 October 2009 12.20pm
Good idea. On preference, which site do people think would make a better temporary garden/allotment site? Also, would either developer require public liability insurance, even for the temporary use?
Friday 2 October 2009 6.20pm
Oakmayne Plaza site has more dirt and better public visibility. Also it has hills of dirt that would be good for a few benches and tables. 360 London has a lot of concrete at ground level.

It would be interested to see Oakmayne's response to this idea if anyone feels up to contacting them. Keep us posted.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: