Photography on Guys not permitted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 27 September 2009 1.21pm
I walked across just now to take a monthly photo of the changing Hodgkin building on Guys campus and this security chap came up to me and said taking photos on Guys property is not allowed without a permit. I asked 'are you sure' as I'm only taking a picture of the building, there are no people in the photo. He went in to the reception to confirm and came out to inform me he was correct. Can anyone confirm this regulation as every day passing through you see people snapping the architecture such as the colonnade.
And what about graduation days and events, does everyone taking a photo need a permit or was this security bloke being over-zealous.
Sunday 27 September 2009 1.28pm
Maybe you could have asked him what the "regulation" was.

I wonder whether it's a public right of way or not. I'd imagine that would change the rights as to what you can do/who can tell you what to do.

I wonder what would happen if you insisted on taking a picture. They could hardly arrest you, could they?

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 27 September 2009 1.46pm
Well security couldn't but the police could arrest him, whether he's doing anything illegal or not. It wasn't that long ago it happened.
Sunday 27 September 2009 2.40pm
The jobsworth security guard could well be right "officially".
As the building is privatly owned, you "officially" has to ask permission to take a photo.
this would be the same with any persons property.
however I would like to think that buildings such as the ones in your photos are maintained so that they are enjoyed by all. After all, are they going to stop every tourist from taking a picture of every privatly owned building? i think not! just keep on taking photos and ignore the guard.
Sunday 27 September 2009 3.14pm
Has the world gone bonkers! Soon we'll need a license to carry a camera. Why don't the police as in beetroots link above and security guards exercise common sense. I had aready taken the photo anyway. Another month before I risk my liberty again. (JOKE).
Sunday 27 September 2009 3.26pm
There are some great clips on youtube of police telling people to stop recording them because it's against the law to film a police officer, which it's not. In one of them the cameraman is in his own front garden. There's a male copper going 'It is an offence to film a police officer' while a female officer stands behind nodding ever so knowledgeably. Anything to avoid stopping crime I suppose. And to think it's the strategy of filming people filming the police that got them to admit to being violent thugs. You might need someone to video you next time you take a photo, Phoney and best have someone video them too.
Sounds like this security guard is determined to stop international terrorists, like the idiots here
Sunday 27 September 2009 5.53pm
I like your photographs Phoney, please try not to get arrested when taking them or we'll miss out on the lovely ones from next spring...
Sunday 27 September 2009 7.50pm
I remember Phoney stopping in Selsey high street and standing at the gates of a lovely old building said to this man who was walking accross with a very angry expression if it would be okay if I took a photo, he reply was a very brief and thunderous NO.. I reverted to my cockney roots because he was soo rude and told him to pee off as I was a tourist and Selsey should encourage tourist in this pretty village ( as it was then) was an old persons home!
Monday 28 September 2009 7.43am
bigphil wrote:
The jobsworth security guard could well be right "officially".
As the building is privatly owned, you "officially" has to ask permission to take a photo.
this would be the same with any persons property..

I don't think that's true. You need permission to be on the property, but not to photograph it from the public highway (or yourown property).

As Beetroot points out, the police often get this wrong. However, this is no reason to accept such abuses of the law.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 28 September 2009 11.04am
It is not as simple as it sounds, unfortunately. A few years ago I was asked (very politely, I should add) by a security person in Canary Wharf whether my photos were intended for commercial use or not, as I was using a SLR camera. He explained to me that all commercial photography of the campus had been contracted out, hence the question, but snapshots for non-commercial use were fine.

It is also worth pointing out that photo agencies like Getty Images have standard property release agreements for photographers wishing to submit their work to them, e.g. via Flickr. Since the legal situation seems to be murky, a formal question to the Hospital Trust might be a good way to clarify the matter - for other photographers as well. I am sure they will be cooperative on this.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: