Mending moth holes in a sweater

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
mac
Tuesday 29 September 2009 9.06am
Hi

Mr Mac has a much loved merino wool sweater that has developed 3 small moth holes in the back. I would really like to have it repaired but have learnt that it will be necessary to re-weave/re-knit it. However, I am having difficulty finding someone who can do this professionally. The knitting shop on Lower Marsh suggested a service on the internet but they haven't responded to my enquiries. Could anyone suggest a re-knitting service or person that might be able to undertake this work?

Thanks in advance!
Tuesday 29 September 2009 10.41am
http://www.tutorials.com/06/0632/0632.asp may help if you were prepared to have a go at doing it yourself.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 12.04pm
A friend of mine used contrasting coloured wool to surround a few smallish holes in his jumper and made a feature out of them... Not sure sure how much of a 'Hoxtonite' Mr Mac is though? ;o)
KP
Tuesday 29 September 2009 12.55pm
Darn It!
mac
Tuesday 29 September 2009 1.01pm
actually Darn-It was the name of the website that the wool shop suggested but they haven't got back to me.

Thanks for the replies
Tuesday 29 September 2009 1.04pm
I have had moth holes repaired at invisible menders. There is one on Marylebone High St and one near Gloucester Rd. I can recommend both but the names escape me.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if one sweater has moth hole then you should check all your other wool garments and will need to treat all of them regardless of holes or not. They are greedy buggers and the only way to get rid of them is dry clean all your clothes or put them in the freezer for 72 hours to kill them.
mac
Tuesday 29 September 2009 1.13pm
thanks Popism - I will try the invisible menders.

Yes, the wretched moths had got a few other things as well (eg suits) but seemed to particularly like this sweater. It's strange but we've never seen actual moths, just the damage the larvae to. They must gorge themselves to death before reaching moth-hood.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 1.27pm
I think the ones down Marylebone High St are actually called Invisible Mending Co, or similar.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 1.30pm
They are discerning things and will go for cashmere first and then mernio followed by other wools! They love sweat, skin and food debris so only ever put away clean suits, sweaters and coats for storage over summer. And if you buy "vintage/second hand" clothing then place in the freezer as I say above before introducing to your wardrobe.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 1.44pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
I think the ones down Marylebone High St are actually called Invisible Mending Co, or similar.

Yes, whenever I've been past the 'Invisible Mending Co.' shop on Marylebone High Street I've always been slightly disappointed that it isn't invisible in a Harry Potter-esque way! :o)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: