Courtesy on the footpath

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
janefs Wednesday 30 September 2009 1.37pm
Picking up on chalkey's earlier rant, I'm going to see if my version wil make me feel better, so here goes...

Last week I met my niece for lunch and we took (or rather we attempted to take) a stroll along the river footpath from B/Market westwards towards the Southbank Centre.

Our stroll was utterly spoiled by frequent, uncomfortably close encounters with joggers, pounding their way along, elbows jutting, weaving and dodging among the pedestrians. Most of them had the pained expression of someone about to collapse, their eyes fixed in grim concentration on the pavement a few feet in front of them, oblivious to everything except the music from their iPods. Some of these putative heart-attack victims bore down on us, whacking both my niece and myself on the arms as they swerved past. I saw several people forced to make way by runners in tandem, who were obviously not about to break their formation, and one collision as one of them pounded round the corner under Blackfriars Bridge. If that makes it seem as though the 'assault' from these creatures was relentless - it was.

Why do they need to run there, imposing their sweaty exertions on the rest of us, at one of the busiest times of the day? They are not there for the scenery so why not use the pavement just one block in from the river which is wider in places and certainly quieter. Their frantic, florid faced, flat-footed quest to 'get fit' is at odds with what should be a relatively calm refuge from which to enjoy the some of the best views in London. The only consolation is that they are gulping in more polluted air than the rest of us and probably ruining their joints by running on concrete.

Oh, and on most of them the teeny-tiny shorts and lycra..? BIG mistake.

Thinks, shall I press the post button? Hell, why not...
KP Wednesday 30 September 2009 2.47pm
What a load of bigotted joggerist nonsense! For example, Why are joggers not there for the scenery? They run along the river for the cleaner air, traffic-free safety and uplifting views as do many walkers.
Its necessary to coexist, I`m afraid, and those that exercise should be encouraged not ridiculed because they dont happen to please the eye.
janefs Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.01pm
What kept you?
phoney Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.13pm
And you could walk faster than some of these 'joggers'.
The footpath irritants that get me going are the people waiting for a bus who are totally oblivious to pedestrians trying to weave between them as they block the pavement.
Julien Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.37pm
You poor, little, fragile thing... how can I break the news?

The footpaths are a public space

Runners are as entitled as you are to use them. Sorry
JonR Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.50pm
a public space - where all users should pay attention to other users, and be considerate of their usage.

being hit by runners is not nice.
having to run in the road is not nice.

be considerate
Davies Wednesday 30 September 2009 4.06pm
janefs is quite correct. The joggers along there are very rude and inconsiderate of life and limb of other pedestrians. They are as bad as cyclists.

My technique is to brace an elbow in front of me to take the hit if they look like running straight into me. They generally dodge round you then. Nothing you can do about the ones who bash into you from behind.

Carry a big golfing umbrella to fend them off with?
Ivanhoe Wednesday 30 September 2009 4.18pm
I'd have thought general common sense meant that the faster foot traffic gave way to the slower foot traffic. i.e. runners, if they insist on being in perpetual motion, can always jog on the spot for the small amount of time it takes to let a slower-moving pedestrian pass through a bottleneck on the path.

Of course runners have every right to be on the paths. It's just that in many cases they appear to behave as if they have priority over everyone else.

I got a dirty look from a runner by Potters Fields the other day when I was daring to push a pram! Imagine that!! There obviously wasn't enough room for the three of us on the HUGE pedestrian area there, so I suppose I should have known better.

...if you press it, they will come.
Philpotts24 Wednesday 30 September 2009 4.50pm
'Be considerate' says JonR, quite rightly.

Alas and alack, 'consideration' is something of a rarity in this day and age, by so many people and in so many situations. Along with 'attitude'.

How sad.
KP Wednesday 30 September 2009 6.24pm
Consideration is a 2-way street - or path in this case - not a power struggle.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions