What happened to the two Caryatids on Heygate Estate?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 2.55pm
I noticed that the two old caryatids that were in the locked garden bang in the middle of Heygate Estate have been removed. Anyone know why, where or how?

From Wikipedia, New Kent Rd:
"Immediately behind the church, in a locked garden, is a sculpture Two Caryatids by Henry Poole, originally created in 1897 for the old Rotherhithe Public Library."

Pic here:
Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.01pm
i know they were planning to remove them and store them in view of the Heygate's imminent demolition. Last week's Southwark News said that the task of removing them had been complicated due to the fact that concrete from the original library was still affixed to the statues, making removal of them harder than anticipated. it seems though that they've managed to move them already. I think it said in the News where they were considering relocating them to (after being stored for a couple of years though - I remember that bit)but i can't remember.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.04pm
The council's hoping to find a new home for them back in Rotherhithe in a more accessible/public location. They were moved yesterday.

Here's the council press release:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.12pm
So it's like the Elgin Marbles returning home to Greece (if that had happened!). Was a lovely rose garden they were situated in!
Thursday 1 October 2009 4.47pm
I took the photos for the New Kent Road Wikipedia page, so I guess it's time to remove that one. Pity.
Sunday 21 November 2010 7.36pm
Next week Southwark's planning committee will consider a planning application for "Relocation of two caryatids (which are columns in the shape of human figures) from the Heygate Estate to Southwark Park"

Monday 22 November 2010 10.54am
Perfect new location. Looking forward to seeing them there.
Saturday 21 May 2011 3.51pm
Just had word from the council to say that they will be officially unveiled in Southwark Park by the Mayor of Southwark on Saturday 4 June at 12.30pm - all welcome.

Saturday 21 May 2011 7.21pm
It's near Ada Salter Gardens and I was told 12noon.
Saturday 21 May 2011 10.51pm
Lets hope they dont get pinched by some dealers in architectral salvage...as I recall the two torchy flame thingys that were fixed on the wall of bermondsey town hall disappeared a few years back! and that was right by the side of the Main Entrance...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: