TfL’s warning to cabbies: too many taxis at Waterloo Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 10.10pm
Doesn't this also happen at London Bridge? I've often been on buses that are trying to continue down Borough High Street that get caught up in the backlog of cabs cutting it up to get into London Bridge.

Related news & features

Thursday 1 October 2009 9.18am
It certainly does....the space for them to queue is more limited and awkward at London Bridge satation but there are lots of times when they are causing traffic problems by being too many there. TfL should get down there too as I'm sure many of those who hang around at Waterloo may be tempted to do it at London Bridge instead.
Thursday 1 October 2009 10.34am
Not to mention on Tooley Street... The More London rank frequently overflows causing an obstruction.
Thursday 1 October 2009 12.14pm
Unfortunately this is just a sign of the times.
It has become increasingly difficult to earn a day's money by cruising the streets of the capital hoping that someone will hail you.
Even people in secure employment, earning a reasonable salary, have been beaten down by the incessant chinese water torture of media talk about credit crunch, recession, staycation holidays, save your pennies, don't eat out, don't go to the theatre, etc. etc.
Where they would in the past disgorge from trains and take a cab to the office/meeting/working breakfast or whatever, they are now walking or taking the bus. Naturally this is their privilege, we as cab drivers just have to bite the bullet and try to maintain our earnings as best we can.
It's not rocket science to come to the conclusion that you can drive around for ages using up fuel, polluting the atmosphere and earning zilch, far better to get on a rank however and wherever you can, eventually you'll get to the front and get a fare no matter how long the wait is.
Personally if I find myself at the rear of a rank but blocking traffic by being there I will pull off that rank, but other, younger drivers with families to feed and mortgages to pay are desperate to earn something so are less inclined to move off.
This behaviour heaps opprobrium on the trade as a whole, but it was ever thus, the actions of the minority affect the way that the majority are viewed by the public, no matter what in what walk of life.
For what it's worth I apologise to the public for their being inconvenienced by this and hope, (with not much conviction), that things eventually return to some semblance of normality.
Friday 2 October 2009 10.30am
I don't think anyone is thinking badly of cab drivers over this to be honest and everyone understands the issues you have raised Tom.
Friday 2 October 2009 1.33pm
That is very kind of you to say that urbanite, we do not expect sympathy, but it is appreciated when the public acknowledge an understanding of the situation.
Now, if you could bring yourself to wear a little sign on your back saying, "Hi Tom, I'm urbanite" you will immediately qualify for a 15% discount on the metered fare should I see you!
Friday 2 October 2009 2.42pm time I'm out and looking for a ride home I will try to remember.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: