There goes the neighbourhood....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 25 February 2004 5.13pm
Anyone else upset by the Bermondsey Street article in this week's Time Out? No mention of anything that wasn't opened in the last year or so except Manze's and that's probably only because it gets used so often by TV people.

The art in Sobo was described as affordable. By who I wonder?! I tried it out and found the coffee and cakes barely affordable. I've tried the Bermondsey Kitchen 3 times and had cause to complain 3 times (ever asked for a sharp knife because your cabbage was too tough?). The Hartley has no atmosphere and looks like a horribly cynical attempt to woo the residents of The Jam Factory. On the half dozen occasions I've visited The Garrison I felt I had entered some kind of designer's ghetto. And how is it possible to get the best T shirts in London in Bermondsey Street? I mean, it's a bloody t shirt, how good could it be?

Actually, all ranting aside it's kind of nice that there is an inreasing mix of people in the area, I just can't stand all that "upcoming" BS that Time Out spins out every couple of weeks. I hope it all blows over soon so we don't lose our neighbourhood to them.

ah-ha, ever get the feeling you've been cheated?!

stick yer frothy lager.......
Thursday 26 February 2004 11.50am
I hate the term SoBo for the whole area! for a coffee shop its fine though.

jan
Thursday 26 February 2004 12.02pm
Good to see Mr. Lydon being quoted.
Thursday 26 February 2004 12.37pm
Haven't seen the article in TO but can imagine the general drift of it and sympathise with Mr Bridgers viewpoint. It's a bit like the articles in property pages that focus on all the buzz words ['upcoming' is relatively innocuous] - my pet hates are renaming areas something 'quarter' or labelling something 'designer' or 'architect designed' [most buildings are aren't they- even the boring ones] as if this adds a mysterious value to the object in question. I loathe the suggestion in these articles that you should 'get the look' [cringe] by buying a few imitation bits and pieces that slightly resemble the stuff in the immaculate apartment in the pictures.
Thursday 26 February 2004 1.40pm
Just read the article, and it's not really that bad. (Apart from the fact it says the area needs a florist when there's already a lovely one on the corner of Grange Road.)
Thursday 26 February 2004 1.59pm
Christ, some people are whingers! I was told you couldnt walk down Bermondsey St 5 years ago without anxiously looking over your shoulder...

bart
Thursday 26 February 2004 2.37pm

I've just had a look at the TO article and think that it's great. At least people will now believe me when I tell them that I live in a really cool area of London and not just associate it with Saint Jade of Bermondsey.
Walking down Bermondsey St now you just can't imagine "the drug addicts huddling in doorways" as described by TO. Long may the regeneration continue - just aslong as it retains some of that real "Londoness" that I love about it!!
Thursday 26 February 2004 2.49pm
The florist (Shrinking Violets) is fantastic and I even carry their card around in my wallet just in case. Not only are the arrangements tasteful but they once re-opened the shop for me when they were just about to go home.

(p.s. my only connection to the florist and its staff is that of a happy customer)

gggggrrrrrruuff
Thursday 26 February 2004 3.53pm
bart - my winge was about the terminology used by journos to describe the process of change, so I agree with your comment, having once been one of those who trod carefully around that area a few years ago [for all sorts of reasons..]. However, I do feel that Bermondsey Street is starting to become a little bit too sanitised, and some of the replacement buildings seem to be just lazy bits of pastiche that the planners have allowed, when they could have been a bit more demanding.
Sunday 29 February 2004 12.11pm
Well whoever told you that you couldn't walk down Bermondsey Street 5 years ago was talking b*****ks. I've lived here over 10 years and it's never felt dangerous at all. The stuff that was always here is still here so why does TO only talk about the new yuppy stuff? There have been great new additions to the area but none of them are mentioned in the article. My choice of local shopping is better now but none of my new choices are discussed. Why is this? What is it about SoBo that gets it into TO when Bus Stop doesn't? How come the bagel shop doesn't make it? It's so much more interesting than some soulless coffee bar with inflated prices and (mostly) bad expensive art.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: