Premier Inn in Great Suffolk Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 3 October 2009 12.33pm
why the Dickens couldnt Oakmayne get them to put a hotel at the E~&C, hence getting on with their development rather than stalling for new plans....
TAK
Saturday 3 October 2009 1.07pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
why the Dickens couldnt Oakmayne get them to put a hotel at the E~&C, hence getting on with their development rather than stalling for new plans....

I'd suspect as the first Oakmayne planning application was approved right before the absolute height of the boom they wanted more - hence three revised planning applications adding more floors and presumably profit.

Would be interesting to know what sort difference in profit could have been achieved back in the day from hotel use to student accomodation or even private flats. What makes most money?

Furthermore, I guess having part of the project as a hotel will have helped them gain planning permission for the scheme too as it would have provided a better mix and a new amenity to Elephant and Castle and surely the regeneration team and council would have given more support to such a mixed scheme than purely flats and student accommodation.
Personally, I do think it's a great shame that scheme lost the hotel for student accommodation and omitting office space for more flats.
I do believe mixed use is for the better in the heart of the city.

Had they marketed and sold all the flats off plan right after planning permission I'm sure it would be under construction now - That's what Multiplex did at the time and they're the only one's building......

But I have to say I am really dazzled Oakmayne could not find a hotel operator as there's currently two hotel projects going up on waterloo road and this one.
Surely being literally on top of two tube lines plus beside an overland rail serving luton airport would be very good for any hotel.
Let alone having a few shops beside it and being so close to southbank etc.

Besides, abroad people don't know Elephant and Castle and what people in London commonly associate it with. From my experience most find it a great and unusual name and also think it sounds posh!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: