Junction corner of St Thomas St / Borough High St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 5 October 2009 4.36pm
This may be a regular topic and have been done to death, apologies if so.

Does anyone know why there are no pedestrian signals at the junction of St. Thomas St and Borough High St? Every day I see potential accidents and near misses here. I've started taking a different route to and from work lately as I felt I was taking my life in my hands every time I crossed at this point.

It's been like that for at least two years, is anything being done?
Monday 5 October 2009 6.42pm
St Thomas's Street in general has fallen into a dilapidated state, mostly due to the "Shard" and its workmen. There are large potholes developed by their lorries, yet no doubt at the conclusion of the build they will 'improve' (to a standard pre-construction only) and Southwark Council will sing the developer's praises!

I cycle down St Thomas's Street daily and find it very dangerous.
Tuesday 6 October 2009 9.20am
that crossing is appalling, particularly as there is no red signal for vehicles in the northbound lane that goes over London Bridge meaning there is no safe crossing for pedestrians. You are better to use the next crossing towards LB. It can be terrifying to watch market visitors on Saturdays trying to negotiate the traffic.
Tuesday 6 October 2009 10.00am
It is a disaster area for all involved, pedestrians and drivers/riders who are trying to negotiate it without taking anyone out!

I wrote to TFL about this junction... it was probably over a year ago and they wrote back saying that it was one of the many junctions in London that do not provide pedestrian facilities. In essence it's on the list and they'll do something about it when they get around to it.

I dont have much time for TFL... isn't it amazing that they found the time completely screw up the Aldgate One way system... Ahhh but the developer was paying for the changes and wanted a 'plaza' a the base of their new office building... and that's what they got!
Wednesday 7 October 2009 12.30am
It's a death trap trying to cross the road there.
I was up there Friday for the market and the traffic lights, which don't include pedestrian lights, didn't seem to be working at all.

There was a screaming match going on between a woman with a pram and a lorry as the woman had tried to cross the road at the lights by the closed optician and the lorry had obviously nearly squashed her.

Not so much a daily or hourly occurrence there as every five minutes I should think. Plus the state of the roads and pavements is dreadful and worse since the scaffold went up on the corner there.
Monday 12 October 2009 10.32am
this was raised by Living Streets when they did their audit of the area over a year ago. I agree that it is very dangerous as the road markings are incorrect. Maybe we should all contact them to see how their campaign is going. The more people, the more notice!

Head Office

4th Floor, Universal House
88-94 Wentworth Street
E1 7SA
020 7377 4900

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: