Earth to Simon the Tanner pub!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 18 March 2002 5.26pm

Surely the demand is there. I demand it! Many weekends I've wanted to pop in for a pint or a whisky or even a meal ... Sunday lunch would be lovely. With so many developments on Long Lane nearing completion, and others just beginning, surely it's time for you to try opening at weekends.

I thank you.
Tuesday 19 March 2002 9.24am
I'll second that - although it always seems to be pretty quite even during the week, it obviously needs a bit more publicity. Maybe Natalie should pay a visit!
Tuesday 19 March 2002 10.36am
I think opening at the weekends would help it during the week. How can a pub build a regular clintele if it's not even open on a Saturday night?! People walk past it, see that it's closed, and never think about coming back.
Tuesday 26 March 2002 10.45am
I agree! I used to go to the Woolpack (now Scotia) but got fed up with it so now we go to the Rose, which is a rather taxing 10 minute walk. I think if they did Sunday lunch they would see more people coming in - neither of the above two pubs do it.

Mind you I did go to the Tanner last year with some friends and apart from the staff we were the only people in there.
Tuesday 26 March 2002 11.24am
What's the Rose like these days? I went in there a couple of years ago and it was very scary, reminicent of the Slaughtered Lamb(?) in An American Werewolf - has it changed? Also, someone mentioned the Ship, I think, being run by the same people as Simon and the Leathermarket - where is it?
Tuesday 26 March 2002 12.55pm
The Rose is OK, especially in winter as they have the sofa and fire. But I agree when I first moved here I used to walk past it and it was always full of old men who looked half dead. It still is on saturday lunch times as there is a betting shop opposite.But generally the customers seem to be getting younger and more varied. Not such a summer pub though...

As to the Ship - maybe the all-knowing James can recall which posting someone mentioned it in.
Tuesday 26 March 2002 1.50pm
Where's the Rose?

Any other decent pubs around?
Tuesday 26 March 2002 1.51pm
In SE1 that is...
Tuesday 26 March 2002 2.29pm
just for a pint try The Beehive, Bartholomew Street, avoid every other Friday as they have karaoke, and I get up to sing......
Tuesday 26 March 2002 3.43pm
The Rose is on Weston St, near Champor Champor.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: