St Mary Magdalene, Walworth

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 9 October 2009 12.20am
Hope I'm posting in the right place!
Glad to have found this site, love reading the posts and wonder if anyone can help. I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find a picture/photo of this church which, I believe, was demolished sometime in the 1950s. The church stood on the corner of Congreve St and Massinger St SE17 and my parents married there on Christmas Day 1948.
Any help would be very gratefully received, as I only have photos taken at the church doors! Thank you....
Friday 9 October 2009 7.33am
Have only found this:

a pearly king and queen procession in 1938, but doesn't really show the church!
Picture from eMuseum

and perhaps related, this London SE1 news item of pictures of the costers harvest festival from this site: Link from this site

The church was built in 1843 and demolished in 1956 having been damaged in the war: see this note
Monday 12 October 2009 12.23pm
Southwark Local History Library - which is currently at Peckham Library (second floor) whilst the John Harvard Library is refurbished.
Most of the resources currently on open access in the library will be available at Peckham library e.g. books, pamphlets, cuttings, illustrations, maps, directories, electoral registers, microfilm/fiche, publications for sale. Archives and reserve stock items will be unavailable for the whole of the relocation period. Their email is and the telephone is 020 7403 3782.
They are THE BEST for local history.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: