Boot & Flogger rant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 October 2009 10.35am
Has anyone ever noticed strange and unfriendly behaviour from the staff at the Boot & Flogger?. We were stunned on Friday evening when one of the barmaids demanded that we replaced the armchair we had moved slightly across to our table, and argued when asked why she had been doing so so rudely and unnecessarily, that we wouldn't like it if someone was rearranging the furniture in our living-room!. When I failed to see the logic behind the argument she insisted the man who'd sat next to us (and who had a choice of two armchairs to sat on), was usually accompanied by his wife. We dutifully put back the armchair to where it belonged even though the customer himself said he didn't mind if we took the armchair. The regular's wife never turned up, our friends did, so we did eventually use the armchair but left us wondered what was wrong with the staff. Could it be they can't get used to the new clientele and only cater to the regulars?
Tuesday 13 October 2009 11.26am
You should have worn your pin striped suit!
Tuesday 13 October 2009 11.44am
exactly my thought!
Tuesday 13 October 2009 11.53am
P2009, your story reminds me of an argument I had in the 'Lord Raglan' pub in the City nearly forty years ago. It was a very busy Friday evening and I had been standing at the bar for about ten minutes with my fiver in my hand, held in such a way as to make it obvious that I was still waiting to be served. People were arriving over my shoulder and getting served before me and I eventually got the hump. I said to the barman that I was still waiting to be served after at least ten minutes and people were arriving after me and being served before me. His response was, "We look after our regulars first and I haven't seen you in here before." he was right in that I had never been in there before, but I imediately retorted, " How the b***** hell do you become a regular if you can't get served in the first place!' That was the first and last time I had ever been told to leave a pub, but not before telling him to put his beer where the sun don't shine. I drove past the 'Raglan' last Sunday and it brought it all back.I couldn't help smiling to myself
Tuesday 13 October 2009 12.10pm
40 years on and still nothing has changed!! well done for standing for your rights. I'll be going back to the Boot & Flogger though..they won't intimidate me that easily!
Tuesday 13 October 2009 12.48pm
Yes, I agree P2009. In my experience the staff there are a bit snotty and, personally, I don't think their food is that good. I went there once for lunch and won't be rushing back...

After all we have SO many fabulous places to eat in SE1 (...and the rest of London!) - why go somewhere where the food is overrated and the staff are rude?
Tuesday 13 October 2009 3.06pm
you're probably right..shouldn't be vindictive and vote with my feet.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: