New Kent Road closed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 13 October 2009 7.36pm
I am on a number 1 bus doing a mystery tour of SE1 because New Kent Rd is closed to traffic at E&C. Poor driver has no clue what route to take. Avoid any bus travelling south on NKR tonight at all costs!
Tuesday 13 October 2009 8.39pm
hi juanita, i'm sorry for your upset. however these planned closures are/have been clearly posted at the start of nkr for some time now, aswell as on the tfl website. the whole mess of road resurfacing/replacing water mains between okr and waterloo bridge is hellish recently. as usual there appears to be no coordination, just let the traffic and commuters suffer.
Tuesday 13 October 2009 11.20pm
Juanita, I wonder if we were on the same bus? My driver also didn't know where he was going and we had a short tour down to Newington Butts before a kind passenger told him the correct detour route!

Some drivers are announcing the detour when they get to the Elephant so that passengers can get off there if they're going to NK road, but others are leaving it as a big surprise - the signs may have been up for ages, but some people live in a little world of their own and don't notice anything!
Wednesday 14 October 2009 6.48am
The signs warning of disruption may have been up at both ends of NKR for ages but they don't actually state that one side of the road will be closed in its entirety. I envisaged a reduction to one lane.

Last night I was stuck in traffic at Waterloo due to the resurfacing outside the Old Vic and then, on diversion from the closed eastbound NKR, stuck again on Borough High Street due to Thames Water works near the junction with Great Dover Street.

Getting around London is hell at the moment. Thames Water's mains replacement programme might be laudable but it's still driving me to despair. The amount of roadworks is just ridiculous, and I'm not even a motorist.

I used to defend London's public transport but now have to put up with a cacophony of announcements, including: on the tube, to signify the doors are closing, a beeping sound (as standard across Metro systems around the world), AND an automated announcement that the doors are closing (sometimes two), AND at some stations, some bored LU employee on the platform wittering away into a microphone, announcing that the doors are closing. WE GET IT!

On buses, announcements of the next stop are helpful and sensible and an all-round good idea. More annoying are the announcements after every bus stop telling you what bus you're on - all at deafening volume. I've given up trying to read on buses.

Sorry, I seem to veered away from the subject of NKR to an all-out rant...
Wednesday 14 October 2009 7.47am
I would like to know why the driscoll house bus stop is announced as Tower Bridge Road! All the large plant is based in bartholomew street at the moment due to nkr works being carried out, the noise you can block out with earplugs, but those flipping orange lights flashing.

When the lads had finished their shift they parked outside again about 3.45am, and to give them their due it was not noise that work us, but those flashes..

still the work has to be done, it's a shame that the bus drivers were not fully informed as to alternative routes.
Zoe
Wednesday 14 October 2009 5.19pm
On Sunday I couldn't get up NKR, Great Dover Street (Marshalsea Road closed) or Tooley Street.

Where was everyone going, the roads were full and the road works made it impossible to move.

What will it be like when E&C starts, we'll never be able to go North to South again.
Friday 16 October 2009 7.22am
Does any one know when this is going finish? the noise last night was truly horrendous, ear plugs and pillows over my head still did not block out the noise, trying to justify going home early from work and trying to catch up on my sleep...moan moan....:-(
Friday 16 October 2009 10.50pm
The closure of NK road at night will stop on the 21st October, but I don't know when the road works will be completed.

Hope you get a better night's sleep Jan.
Monday 19 October 2009 12.32pm
I think Abbey Street is the next stop A.Pat as I saw the enormous piece of machinery/plant this morning there...and I had a lovely sleep last night thank you auntie pat..:-)
Tuesday 20 October 2009 12.44am
They seemed to not be working on NK Road over the weekend, and the traffic was normal however tonight it was closed off again and we went on our tour of the BHS and Great Dover St - surely it would have made sense to work over the weekend when traffic would have been lighter?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: