Did you see me come off my bike at St George's Circus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 14 October 2009 5.26pm
Hi All,

Not used this forum before but hoping that someone might of seen my accident the other week. Only for curiosity purposes.

Last thing i remember was being at the bus/cyclist traffic lights of St George's circus so I assume i came off around here.
I gather that my plastic carrier bag on my handle bars caught in the front wheel and I somersaulted dramatically onto my head, knocking myself out and cutting my face up quite a bit. I only awoke in the ambulance so I have no idea what commotion i caused or who called the ambulance etc...

If you saw me on Monday 5th October around 9.15 am then please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Wednesday 14 October 2009 11.29pm
I didn't see your accident. I am sorry to hear about it and hope that you are on the mend now, take care.
Thursday 15 October 2009 2.13am
Sorry, I didn't see it, but hope you're feeling better now.
Thursday 15 October 2009 9.41am
Hello Jonathan
I saw you, it was quite a shock. I was the lady who called the ambulance and held an umbrella over you whilst the paramedic checked you over, as it was raining really hard. You asked me what time it was and I said don't worry about being late for work! But I gather from your post that you can't remember any of this. I'm not surprised as your head hit the floor hard. It was caused by your plastic bag catching in the front wheel, as you said. There was also a guy passing who happened to be from the BTP and he held your head until the ambulance arrived and talked to you. I was just so glad you were wearing a helmet and I hope you are ok now.
Thursday 15 October 2009 10.15am
Three cheers and a gold star for J-Ann!! and wishes for a speedy recovery to Jonofon.
Thursday 15 October 2009 10.19am
Hey Jonofon... didn't see your accident either, and as others have said, glad you're feeling better! I'd just like to add though that years ago I too had an accident on my bike involving a carrier bag over the handle-bars. My accident wasn't too serious as I fell off side-ways, but did have a bad neck for about two weeks afterwards. Anyway, the accident took me completely by surprise as I'd been cycling around like this for years, but it was so easily done, so I would say to anyone please take extra care when cycling like this!! (I should say don't do it at all of course!!)
Thursday 15 October 2009 10.38am
Jonofon, I would like to add my best wishes also for a speedy recovery. Reading the details of your accident sent a chill up my spine and made me think how lucky I am to be here after the things I used to get up to on my bike. When I lived in the Old Kent Road As a kid I used to cycle over to the Serpentine in Hyde Park for a bit of fishing. I would have my rod tied to my crossbar and my tackle box slung over one shoulder. I had to ride at a funny angle to counter balance the weight of the box. The worst part of the journey was cycling round Parliament Square. I would have to cut accross three lanes of traffic and rearrange my cycling position again in order to signal with my left arm that I wanted to turn off at the park. But I often went round the square three or four times before anyone would let me cut accross. No such thing as cycle helmets in those days. Like most kids I suppose I thought I was bomb-proof and saw no danger. I wouldn't do it again for all the money in the world.
Thursday 15 October 2009 10.45am
Chalkey - that sounds insane!!! And you did that regularly?! LOL!
Thursday 15 October 2009 11.38am
I probably did it at least once every few weeks. It depended how the money situation was. If I had a few shillings I would fish further afield and get a bus to Waterloo and then a train to somewhere like Kingston-upon-Thames, Richmond or Hampton Court. But if I was skint it cost nothing to cycle over to the Serpentine. And yes.....It was insane! At the time I was doing this they were developing the whole of Hyde Park Corner, (Hilton Hotel etc.,) circa 1960/61. So It was even more hectic around there then than now. In hindsight, probably as lethal as Parliament Square! I can remember the big boards displaying the joint developer's names: 'Cubits-Fitzpatrick-Shand.'
Thursday 15 October 2009 1.03pm
Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty well recovered as I said but for a few scars and also looks like I'm gonna have to have root canal on my two front teeth. Nothing one can't put up with and again thankful for the helmet or it'd all be far worse.

J- Ann - WOW! you are a hero. Thank you so much for your efforts and for posting. Thanks internet!
Your description of what happened was great. I do actually very vaguely remember rain, asking about the time... and some other blurs but hadn't until you mentioned it. I was thinking I was out cold for 10/15 minutes and only awoke in the ambulance. Not the case then. Cool. Where you in your car? Did I cause a fair old traffic jam!? How long until the ambulance came? If you can shed any more light that would be fantastic, I'm really interested.
Is BTP -British Transport Police? He's a nice chap too anyway!
Thanks again J-Ahn, I'd love to say thankyou in person and buy you a coffee or something. I'll try msg you privately if thats possible on these forums...

Thanks everyone else for your well wishes.

Safe cycling! and no bags on handlebars!!!!

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: