BFI Funding

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 19 October 2009 12.03pm
45 million for one complex seems very steep especially at the moment. Surely there are more sensible ways to invest in the film sector in this country than put all that money in to the one pot? I think having lived in london, worked in the film industry and gone to cinemas everyweek I have only ever been to BFI twice!

Related news & features

Monday 19 October 2009 12.11pm
JuliaBaker wrote:
I have only ever been to BFI twice!

And I've been loads of times. Already one of, if not the best resources for film fans in the world is now going to get a further investment and expansion. And it's on our doorsteps. Good times.
Monday 19 October 2009 1.47pm
Yeah but its a cinema!! 45 million on a cinema which just already got refurbed? Tate is having to fundraise to the hilt on their own without government funding and I would argue that attracts more to SE1 and london as a whole. Also not all of SE1 is wealthy and to pour that cash into one project I think is very wrong
Monday 19 October 2009 1.59pm
To be clear - the Government's 45 million pledge isn't a guarantee it will go ahead, at least in the short term, as the total cost will be much greater and the BFI will have to fundraise for the rest.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 19 October 2009 9.28pm
Quote:
45 million on a cinema which just already got refurbed?

This is going to be a totally new building - the existing building, while having a light refurb recently only actually has a lifetime of another 10-15 years after which it will become impossible to use.
Tuesday 20 October 2009 8.12am
In the sake of clarity, lets remember that the Tate extension is getting government funding (confirmed in the same article on this site and elsewhere) to the tune of 50m...
Tuesday 20 October 2009 10.06am
brilliant idea build a cinema on the banks of the thames on a piece of land zoned metropolitan open land ..... this is the highest protection available to keep as free space ... hopefully it will never make it through the planning hoops
Tuesday 20 October 2009 10.40am
williamn wrote:
the existing building, while having a light refurb recently only actually has a lifetime of another 10-15 years after which it will become impossible to use.

What excellent structures we're building these days

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 20 October 2009 2.22pm
I'll be amazed if the 5yr old building where I live will still be here, in 15 years.

As for these Grants to the BFI, TATE et all, whilst I am very much into the Arts, I also wonder why they get so much and vital organisations, such as the PDSA, RSPCA etc etc etc, get not one penny!
Tuesday 20 October 2009 2.27pm
Philpotts24 wrote:
I'll be amazed if the 5yr old building where I live will still be here, in 15 years.

Ditto for the circa 10 yr old "architect-designed" (love that phrase) place where we live.

Hopefully the current climate (i.e. buying houses not being a license to print money) might mean that people are less willing to accept rubbish building standards in future.

There's no way I'd buy the flat we rent.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: