Pics of Tooley Street/TBR/Old Jamaica Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 21 October 2009 1.33pm

the site is a miscellany (sic?) of transport pictures and has quite a few good ones dating from the '50s - http://dewi.ca/trains/london

Also some of Bricklayers' Arms, New/Old Kent Road, etc.

Worth a look as these pics aren't to my knowledge in either the local studies library or the London Metropolitan Archive.
Zoe
Wednesday 21 October 2009 5.02pm
Thanks for the link, these are very good.

Does anyone know - on the one of Waterloo Road, there is a row of low rise shops were Emma Cons is now. Is this just the angle of the photo or was Emma Cons created out of bomb damage?
Wednesday 21 October 2009 5.08pm
Yes - a Lambeth Council planning report says: "Ordnance Survey and Council records indicate that Emma Cons Gardens was created after the Second World War following post war site clearance of the bomb damaged buildings that previously existed on this site. The site was purchased by the London County Council and was opened in 1958 as a garden with trees and small raised grass plots and seats."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 October 2009 9.59pm
nice one gavin. first pic i've seen of a tram on jam road. ta matey
Wednesday 21 October 2009 10.07pm
pleasure - I think the best bits are always in the background The block of flats you can see - Hartland House - was originally a "beer house" called, if I remember correctly, the Duke of Salisbury. Of course, that's long gone, as indeed are the "slums" at the background of the picture. I think those houses were Tilbury Place and a caption to a copy of a photo I have somewhere says words to the effect of 'The last residents of Tilbury Place before demolision' and features an old woman and man with pointed noses - I think that one's dated 1952 although it is buried away. What I find fascinating is the way that years afterwards remnants of a bygone era are still present if you look for them. Anyway, enough rambling from me!
Saturday 24 October 2009 12.16pm
Im looking for photos of blackfriars rd area ( waterloo - borough) pre ww2 preferably

need approx 12 - 15 photos of anything of interest

am happy to pay for anyones assistance

these are for a wall in a local pub

cheers
phil

londonphil67@aol.com
Saturday 24 October 2009 3.59pm
there a lovely scene 'tower bridge road market' from the early thirties (31) it said but look more like late 20's..sorry on youtube...
Saturday 24 October 2009 10.04pm
The thing I love about these pictures is how uncluttered the pavements looked... free of endless railings etc... it seems that there was an assumption that people had enough intelligence to work out where it was safe to cross!
Sunday 25 October 2009 10.54am
Jan the old one wrote:
there a lovely scene 'tower bridge road market' from the early thirties (31) it said but look more like late 20's..sorry on youtube...

Thanks for the reference to this brilliant footage Jan. Could you tell me if the side road with the 'Wills Gold Flake' advertising board (about 7 - 15 seconds in) is Green Walk? I understand that you surely wouldn't remember the actual ad itself, but looks like the buildings to the left of the sign are not there any longer but those to the right of it may include what is now the Dental surgery and carpet shop next door??
Sunday 25 October 2009 12.28pm
Great picture. Thats how I like to remember the area.
Real Se1
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: