78 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Wednesday 21 October 2009 4.23pm
78 Bus

For everyone who kindly fed comments in to me about the overcrowding and unreliability of the 78 this is just to let you know that TfL have confirmed to me that the contract for this route will be out to re tender next year and TfL will consult stakeholders on plans for the new contract in November 2009. At the moment TfL say they introduced a new schedule in April, and they think reliability has improved. The kilometres travelled performance target is still slightly below it's target, but this is now showing a positive upward trend. How has it been for you ?Valerie.Shawcross@london.gov.uk
Wednesday 21 October 2009 4.54pm

Well done on trying to get this route improved

perhaps you could work some magic on the C10 which is also overcrowded and totally unreliable with buses that are too small for the route and too infrequent.
Wednesday 21 October 2009 5.10pm
Yes, thank you Val. I have noticed that there is often a 2nd 78 within a few minutes of a packed one, when I shope at Sainsbury's OKR. Mind you I found oujt the hard way, having started walking with my shopping and getting between stops.....

I heartily concur with Dee Dee about the C10. It long ago ceased to be a reliable service - even allowing for all the constant roadworks - and is far two small for 75% of the day. I have lost count of the times I have had to wait in excess of 30mins at night, returning from Pimlico to Long Lane.

Thanks again. Philip
Wednesday 21 October 2009 7.49pm
Yes, in my humble opinion, the 78 is now much improved and I find that whenever I'm waiting for a number one, I'll often see about two or three 78 buses often go past first!
Thursday 22 October 2009 1.30am
Yes, I think there has been an improvement in the 78, on the other hand the no 1 has got worse! Several times in the past week I have had to wait more than 20 mins and the bus has been very full.

Thanks Val, for trying to fix the buses.
Thursday 22 October 2009 10.25am
I concur with the above. The 78 is a bit better than it has been, but the C10 is ever more farcical - running late, or not at all, or full.

The Number 1 is obviously in a mess because of whatever genius decided to do simultaneous roadworks on Waterloo Road, Westminster Bridge Road, Borough High Street and New Kent Road, though even that doesn't excuse some of the hopeless service lately.

Trying to go Westbound from St James Road stop (opposite The Blue) this morning, the buses arrived as follows:

8:05 (apparently, as someone had just missed it, I wasn't there)
8:50 (full, didn't let anyone on)
8:55 (terminating at Elephant) (too full to let everyone on)
8:56 (terminating at Waterloo)
8:56 (terminating at Aldwych)

I got on the Waterloo bus as I only needed to go to Elephant to change (to the C10, haha!)

For a bus that is meant to run 'every 6-8 minutes' to have a gap of 45 minutes (and for there to be nothing on the TFL website saying there was any kind of problem with the service) is beyond a joke. Perhaps all the bus drivers are moonlighting as temps for the post office? There were buses on the countdown, they just didn't appear, so I guess the records will show that a good service ran! What do they do, put the transponder in a taxi and drive it round the route?
Thursday 22 October 2009 12.55pm
I agree with the request to sort out the C10. I often go from Bermondsey Square to Rotherhithe and it's often pretty grim. You wait ages for a bus and when it comes it is full (of course), every stop takes two minutes as people cannot get off, and then you get to the Rotherhithe Tunnel and the bus terminates there (and goes direct to Canada Water or the bus garage) as the driver is late!

I sympathise with the operator about the roadworks (which are pretty well everywhere) but a more regular service would not get overfull and so would run quicker.

We were held up yesterday on the C10 by a young man who got on holding a pizza box. The trouble was that it measured about 2 feet square and he was holding it flat. Consequently he declined to move down past other standing passengers, thus stopping the other two new passengers from getting past and so the driver declined to move. The trouble was the driver didn't say anything, so we just sat there until eventually I told pizza-man that we weren't going anywhere until he moved. Are these drivers not trained to communicate?
Thursday 22 October 2009 1.29pm
My favourite C10 moment was similar to Possel's, there was a situation of nobody being able to get off because of people trying to get on who couldn't get on because people couldn't get off. This was at Lower Marsh. Then the nice posh lady's voice announced

"Seats are available on the upper deck"...
Thursday 22 October 2009 3.50pm
Thanks everyone. Very helpful. In fact I have had a few direct complaints for several different locations for the C10 and went out doing one of my early morning monitorings on Friday two weeks ago, this was a brainstorm mistake as Fridays tend to be a quieter day all round and I couldn't detect a problem. You've inspired me to get out early again and monitor the C10 on a more busy day not friday nor half term to see what it looks like for an hour at morning rush. Big worry now is that bus cuts are likley - certainly wont see any growth so it may get harder to get these problems sorted. Val
Thursday 22 October 2009 5.21pm
Hi, Val. You might also like to try returning from Victoria, via. Pimlico, on any night, after 10pm [I know, you need your sleep :p].

The buses are always packed, to the point of total discomfort for everyone - having to push through crowds of standing passengers/suitcases/pushchairs etc., to get on and off. That's before the travelling, when the discomfort for standing passengers is awful.

I have seen several older people who have waited in excess of 40mins for a bus.

Polite enquiries to the drivers usually elicit a surly silence, or a "Duuno Mate"; more often than not, they just stare straight ahead.

Then, as has been said, the advertised destination is changed, during the journey, without any announcement from the driver.

The end result is that a 25min journey [b]frequently[b] takes well over an hour.

It beggars belief that this current 'service' cannot be improved, in this day and age.

Many thanks for your endeavours.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: