Ghosts II

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 21 October 2009 11.20pm
I thought I'd do a quick forum search to see if there were any old threads on ghosts in SE1 and it seems one person did ask if there were any stories- me! And there were no replies. Oh well.
Thursday 22 October 2009 2.18pm
they have goats at Surrey Docks City Farm - is that close enough?

Otherwise I'd have thought the areas of warves and warehouses by the river would have been ripe with ghost stories, sightings etc.
Thursday 22 October 2009 2.33pm
Well I suppose goats will have to do. Isn't it a bit odd that there aren't some famous ghosts in such an old part of London?
Thursday 22 October 2009 2.44pm
there is a 'lady in white' somewhere in Borough.
one of the books by an author, who's other book we read, as it was based in SE1, Fingersmith, I think, Julie Walters was it? anyway, she wrote a book about a lady in white, which is based again in Borough, and is from stories about a ghost,... or something.

yes it is odd that there aren't more.
Thursday 22 October 2009 4.08pm
I've read about the ghost of a woman in the George Inn, Borough High Street. Apparently she disapproves of modern technology in the pub and causes electronic tills to malfunction.
Saturday 24 October 2009 9.52am
The only thing that springs to mine is about the Thomas A`Becket pub, it has a haunted room. This was several years ago, the landlord used to offer £5 to anyone who could spend an hour in the room, I don`t have any other details about it.
Saturday 24 October 2009 10.55pm
Hey just noticed this in events.....

There must be a few ghosts in Se1 if they can make it into a walk!
Sunday 25 October 2009 12.42pm
Thanks shoggy. I keep meaning to get his book. Anyone read it?

A friend of mine is a fan of the Fingersmith woman- Sarah Waters (though I'd read one by Julie Walters). I'll see if she knows about the lady in white.

The Thomas A Becket certainly delivers. I never knew...

'The ghosts of three nuns have been seen on occasions walking through corridors on the second floor. Joe Lucy, former British welterweight champion, saw the nuns and even claims to have heard them whispering. One-time landlord Arthur Ward found the disturbances so bad he could not sleep alone at the pub.

Further evidence of being built upon a tainted site is the pub's association with Jack the Ripper. A suspect in the murders was arrested in 1888 after ‘leaving a shiny black bag at the Thomas a' Becket public house' containing ‘a very sharp dagger, a clasp knife, two pairs of very curious looking scissors, and two preseries.'

From Southwark News
Sunday 25 October 2009 12.52pm
The only spirits in that pub were in the cellar! It has been a very unlucky pub in the past and many a landlord has been either died suddenly or been struck down with a life threatening illness.
I always remember the lady who ran the pub used to have a leopard or tiger that she kept on a lead.
I was suprised she was allowed to keep it, but having said that there was a zoo / animal keeping place around the corner in the 60s / 70s in Mina Road.
Real SE1

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: