Millwall

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 24 October 2009 6.18pm
Hi
I am new to this site. Just wanted to know how many of you SE1ers support your local football team?
RSE1
Saturday 24 October 2009 8.15pm
Nope!
although am planning to get along and support Southwark tigers rugby.
Saturday 24 October 2009 8.42pm
I went to The Den a few times over the years but I gave up eventually.
As a working class guy I have effed and blinded on many an occasion but I can truly say that I gave up on going to Millwall because of the overwhelming feeling of being "tainted by association" with the morons who followed the club.
Saturday 24 October 2009 9.09pm
Nottingham Forest through and through. I like Millwall though, and visit the Den at least a couple of times a season. Saw them in the FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford v Sunderland and the play-off at Wembley v Scunthorpe. So on the big days out I travel to see them too...
Saturday 24 October 2009 10.53pm
I don't like football, so don't support any team.
I don't like the atmosphere around here when there's a home game - after the match the buses are full of men effing and blinding and taking up all the seats (and I'm talking grown men, not youngsters) and generally carrying on and it's quite intimidating. My sister used to live near the W**t H*m ground and said it was the same there.
Sunday 25 October 2009 8.59am
Auntie Pat

I think the atmosphere on match days is great. I think it reflects the local areas roots with the working class man.
It was interesting to see that not many people who use this forum support there local team. They also seem to support the Bourough market but not East Street market. Why is that?

Real SE1
Sunday 25 October 2009 9.03am
I lived just off of the Old Kent Road until 1969 and Millwall was my local team. I couldn't afford to follow them around the country, but I went to most home games when my shift work on the buses allowed. However, it seems I moved away at the right time, because that's just about when things started to go rapidly downhill. Sharpened pennies and darts were being thrown indiscriminately into the crowds of away supporters and I can remember a ghastly picture in the 'Daily Mirror' of a guy with a dart imbedded in the bridge of his nose being helped by a St Johns ambulance man. This was also around the time when Bobby Robson, who was manager of Ipswich Town at the time, made his famous quote. After his team had won at the old 'Den' and the home supoporters had been a little 'less than friendly' he was asked his opinion on how to solve the problem of the Millwall hooligan element. His reply?...."Get the flame throwers out and burn them on the terraces." Things aren't as bad as that any more, thank God. I live just a few hundred yards from Southend United's ground and they were hosts to Millwall a couple of weeks ago. I didn't go to the match, (I'm a Saturday t.v. racing man these days,) but I didn't hear of any trouble.
Sunday 25 October 2009 9.47am
When you hear the police vans racing towards London Bridge down Southwark Street on a Saturday you know Millwall are playing at home. I must admit though I like their "nobody likes us but we don't care" motto.
Sunday 25 October 2009 12.47pm
I think most football teams have a hooligan element. I have witnessed trouble with all the premier league clubs over the years. Chelsea still has a smaller hooligan element, although most of the wanna be supporters now prefer oysters and prawn sandwiches. I for one liked the rawness of the teams years ago.
Its all too much corporate hospitality now in the premier league.
Real SE1
Sunday 25 October 2009 1.10pm
Real SE1, the East Street market is Real SE17, so I don't usually go by, but I'm interested. What's good about it?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: