How many on here shop down East Street Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Sunday 25 October 2009 10.01am
Hi All

Just got to thinking how many on here use East Street Market to get there shopping? The fruit and veg is a lot cheaper than The Borough Market.

Real Se1
Sunday 25 October 2009 11.00am
Borough Market is in SE1, when under threat of closure beacuse of a train line going through it, locals will support it. I tend to go for quaility rather than quanity, Borough Market is the market to shop. East Street is SE17 and has gone down hill in the last few years.
Sunday 25 October 2009 11.21am
Personally I love East Street Market, but it may just be because I've been going there for so long. And I certainly by fruit and veg there. Borough Market is for swanky salamis and whizzy olive oils...dont think the two can be compared at all.
Sunday 25 October 2009 12.23pm
Pops
You can`t only shop in SE1 can you? East Street is a local Market and is surely in need of more support than the Borough Market.
The Borough Market used to be known for fruit and veg, but that is not the case anymore.
I find it too posh with loads of people going there to buy cooked food and be trendy rather than your shoppers looking to cook a meal at home.
I would not say the quality is better either. In my opinion the displays look better and the stall holders use a bit of spin (plus fours and old bowler hats) to sell over priced produce!
Real SE1
Sunday 25 October 2009 1.59pm
East St market is an excellent market, there are some well established traders selling quality items.

I tend to go on early on Saturday morning and always visit the frint and veg store in the middle on the right, the family always provide quality in season organic fruit and so much cheaper then borough... i also get my fish and sometimes meat from the halal butchers.

Other household items are cheap too. There is a guy who sells mens clothes which is 75% cheaper then house of fraser! You can get cleaning products very cheap.

There is a guy who sells duvet sets, his family have been there for over 50 years! i managed to get a 100% Egyptian cotton designer set for only 12, cost over 70 in house of fraser! it was brand new and from the previous season- and no, it wasn't seconds! you want quality, you got it!

if you want a day out with a friend or showing someone around, take them to borough, if you want quality items at reasonable price, go down East St.. its still a wonderful market, even thou my it has changed over the last 10 years.

(been going for over 25 years!) & i live closer to the Borough market...
Sunday 25 October 2009 7.22pm
hmeah
Lets try to get more people like you visiting and stop the East Street market from going to pot.
Sunday 25 October 2009 7.28pm
FYI, there's a regular farmers' market coming to Bermondsey Sq. I think it's going to be every Saturday starting next week. I might be wrong on the details, but there's definitely one coming. I'm hoping it'll be good.

I do love Borough Market but it's becoming more and more about lunch food and less and less about produce. Have only ever walked past the East St market but based on the recommendations above, may have to check it out.
Sunday 25 October 2009 7.33pm
The Bermondsey Square Farmer's Market is here
Sunday 25 October 2009 8.09pm
That sounds good. Just hope it does not turn into another luvvies market. We dont need or want another one in the area. Whats the point whilst one is in decline through lack of customers (East St) another opens less than a mile away. Keep it real for the local people not the new breed who have just turned up.
Sunday 25 October 2009 11.10pm
No mate - Borough is for tourists, 'The Lane' (from when it was called East Lane Market is the dogs!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: