History of property/land in Lynton Road, SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 27 October 2009 1.35pm
HELP mature student needing historic information on the land/foundations of the victorian houses in Lynton Road in particular 1a Lynton Road. I have a large case study to carry out on the above property by the beginning of December 2009 and cannot find any information on the web regarding the land that the houses we're built on, whom built them etc.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday 28 October 2009 8.45am
Would the old railway yard have gone up that far? (the old bricklayers arms depot)
Sunday 1 November 2009 1.14pm
Thanks Jan according to the old maps that I have found the old railway did run paraell to Lynton Rd but i'm trying to find out when Lynton Road was put in place and when the houses were built and if anyone knows who they were built by.

Thanks once again
Claire
Thursday 5 November 2009 9.03am
I dont know why Claire, but try Yates Estates, they are based still in London I think, They have been going for over a century and were property managers ( and possibly builders).Ask for their Head Office, they used to have one near london bridge...
Friday 6 November 2009 7.11am
When I moved into my house just off Lynton I was shown a clipping saying that 'the historic West estate' was up for sale (nine or so streets and businesses) and had been bought by the Council. I am guessing Lord West built his development on what I was told were the previous market gardens of Bermnodsey. My house is 1872 so I guess most are around that age...
Sunday 14 March 2010 10.08am
clumsy wrote:
HELP mature student needing historic information on the land/foundations of the victorian houses in Lynton Road in particular 1a Lynton Road. I have a large case study to carry out on the above property by the beginning of December 2009 and cannot find any information on the web regarding the land that the houses we're built on, whom built them etc.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I lived in Southwark Park Road as a youngster and am now writing the story of my life for that period. The property in Balacalva Roads Alma Grove and so on where built after the Crimea War circa 1840 and the Railway was opened in 1861 and run from South Bermondsey to the Bricklayers Arms relics of which can be seen at the old Southern Railway stables at the Junction with St James Road and Rolls Road and with this in mind I would think the proertys in Lynton Road were constructed between 1840 to 1860 the propertys in the middle of Lynton Road were owned by the Gomm Family whos history can be found on the web and I beleive they were later taken over by Bermondsey Borough Council but I stand to be corrected
Hope this helps in some way

Joe Foster
Sunday 18 April 2010 9.58pm
I IM ALBERT HARRIS I LIVED IN 497 SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD NEXT DOOR TO CHICKS THE PUB WITH MY PARENT ALBERT CHARLES HARRIS AND LILLIAN JANE HARRIS GREAT TIMES ALONG THAT STREET AND I WENT TO SOUTHWARK PARK SCHOOL MY TEATHERS WHERE MISS ANDREWS AND MISS LAKER THE HEADMASTER WAS MR HUGHES IF THERE ENYONE OUT THERE WHO NO ME IT WOULD BE NICE TO TALK
Sunday 18 April 2010 10.05pm
IM ALBERT HARRIS I LIVED IN 497 SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD NEXT DOOR TO CHICKS THE PUB WITH MY PARENT ALBERT CHARLES HARRIS AND LILLIAN JANE HARRIS GREAT TIMES ALONG THAT STREET AND I WENT TO SOUTHWARK PARK SCHOOL MY TEATHERS WHERE MISS ANDREWS AND MISS LAKER THE HEADMASTER WAS MR HUGHES IF THERE ENYONE OUT THERE WHO NO ME IT WOULD BE NICE TO TALK
Sunday 18 April 2010 10.06pm
DEAR PEOPLE OF BERMONDSY IM ALBERT HARRIS I LIVED IN 497 SOUTHWARK PARK ROAD NEXT DOOR TO CHICKS THE PUB WITH MY PARENT ALBERT CHARLES HARRIS AND LILLIAN JANE HARRIS GREAT TIMES ALONG THAT STREET AND I WENT TO SOUTHWARK PARK SCHOOL MY TEATHERS WHERE MISS ANDREWS AND MISS LAKER THE HEADMASTER WAS MR HUGHES IF THERE ENYONE OUT THERE WHO NO ME IT WOULD BE NICE TO TALK

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: