Regulars - and lurkers - what do you think?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 19 March 2002 11.10am
Come on all you regulars on the Forum - and all you lurkers - one word answers

What's good about living here?
What could be better?

What are your hopes for future of SE1?
What are your fears for the future of SE1?

What would you like to see the local faith communities doing/being in SE1 now - and in the future?

How optimistic are you about the future of SE1? (On a scale from 0 to 10)

Anything else you want to add?

Thanks - email the forum or just me - respondents get a free invitation to the presentation of the research findings (early May). I'll post the Forum findings here.

I'm researching regeneration, local needs and the faith communities in LSC.

Catriona
Wednesday 20 March 2002 12.01pm

History, transport links, restaurants and pubs, attractions to take visitors to, architecture, regeneration, easy access to central london, arts facilties

What could be better?

Get rid of roundabouts and main roads which are one way
More supermarkets
Make going under railway bridges less depressing
Eyesore Buildings from the 70s and 80s (e.g. BT bulding on Blackfriars Rd, hexagonal block in Westminster Bridge roundabout)

Regeneration solving the above problems

Too many tourists
Bad developments (e.g. excessively high towers)
Property prices getting too high
Loss of vibrancy as artists go and their place is taken by bankers
Loss of interesting nooks and crannies

What would you like to see the local faith communities doing/being in SE1 now - and in the future?

Cathedral should get behind borough Market
Good work with Waterloo homeless should continue
Church should not put up its rents on afordable houses

Very optimistic - especially since news on Bricklayers roundabout - 9
Thursday 21 March 2002 4.57pm

For an area so close to the City and the South Bank it is very quiet, much less bussle than west London.
It seems like a friendly area as well. After living in Hackney, Park Royal, Crystal Palace and Plumstead
this is my favourite place so far.

What could be better?

More local shops on Tower Bridge Rd and bring on the redevelopment of Elephant & Castle. That way we do not
need a supermarket and money flows back into the local
economy. A market at Bermondsey Sq on saturdays would be good.

That it retains it chilled out feel. We even have our local radio station http://www.choicefm.net

Make the walkways and tunnels more welcoming. More lighting.

That the area goes upmarket and that people get priced out.

Get involved with young people.

Nope
Mil
Tuesday 26 March 2002 10.12am
Its beautiful, you are immersed in London's history, there is always something going on or something new to do/look at.
Also Southwark are a great council I think.

What could be better?
More shops that are affordable. A supermarket. And some clothes/shoe shops, that would be wonderful (I know, I'm shallow).

More of the same and that the estates don't get left behind and forgotten.

See above - that the regenereation only happens in pockets such as the Thames, Bermondsey st, London Bridge etc. this would also cause the residual racism to increase.

I do not have ehough knowledge of them to comment. Education and working with the refugee community perhaps.

No thank you.
Friday 29 March 2002 2.07pm
borough market, proximity to the river, alternative arty types and events, transport links, libraries, theatres, the Elephant!

What could be better?
more affordable housing
more communal spaces
more sports and swimming facilities
more independent shops and traders
need a cinema

that it continues to thrive and that the council will be able to put back into the community some of the huge amounts of money generated by tourists, and the selling of OUR land to property speculators.

that people who have lived in the borough for many years will be forced out economically.
that the incidious blight of corporate shopping facilities continues to spread.
eg Star*ucks which now seem to be around every corner, but only in the tourist areas of course. they've also completely missed the point in Clink Street. The old building which housed Backspace had a raised area at the back giving a view on to the Thames. This has been removed.

Vinopolis too - ghastly corporate hospitality shed, offering nothing to residents. They have destroyed the look of one the best examples of bridge building too.

Borough Market - I fear this will go the same way and again miss the point. Once it's redesignated as a tourist attraction, locals who really want to shop for food will be put off by the crowds. And do tourists really want to buy fresh food to carry round?

My biggest fear is that more of our beautiful green spaces are sold off for yet more 'luxury appartments' to be built. We are losing our spaces, our views and precious light. And long-term residents are being forced to move as landlords see the opportunity to raise rents but do little to improve conditions within residential buildings. Residents have little say in the planning approval system - the council just wants to raise money by selling land.

Hard to say - it used to be cheap and brilliant to live in!

Local needs - we are desparetly short of communal spaces, and funding for local events and organisations. TNRA tries hard to encourage property developers to incorporate these spaces into new buildings, but with profit required from every square inch this is hard work.
Saturday 30 March 2002 9.49pm
ps
2 more good things:
Simon Hughes and the Little Dorrit park and play area. Went there today and it's a brilliant park.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: