Crap Charge London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 28 February 2004 5.04pm
A warning ( I do hope I am the only one) - I have just received a nice penalty charge notice in the post. I had called them earlier this month to ask about the renewal process, asking how I could pay for the next year (I am a registered resident) to which they told me it would be too complicated to do it there and then (i.e. we have processes here we follow you thicko) and that they would send out renewal notice and I could pay by return. Guess what, no renewal notice, just a penalty notice… and I am sure I have a few more in the post (thanks good for the SE1 Postal Service! They have saved me a week of notices already!)
Saturday 28 February 2004 11.19pm
Matt

See earlier thread regarding Congestion Charge confusion.

Niall Connolly
Sunday 29 February 2004 12.46am
Had a look at your thread Niall (sorry I had somewhat dismissed it due to the later issue of addresses and people avoiding increased insurance premiums - say no more)
The CC London website says the following:-

How long will my discount registration for my vehicle be valid for?

Your discount registration will be valid for one year. You will be reminded and invited to renew your registration 30 days before your current registration expires

Which was the only item I could find searching for “renew”
Quite conveniently, and also even is the residents guide, the right to pay as a resident (e.g. registration) and the actual payment are two separate processes… not doubt to ensure confusion and maximum possibility of PCNs
Sunday 29 February 2004 8.19am
The change in the renewal date for registration also adds to the confusion. You don't seem to get a reminder for payment, I assume the PCN is used instead, whilst you can only renew your registration when you receive the reminder. (Eg you can't simply get a form off the website - they must write to you - or thats what the lady on the end of the telephone said.) The former now happens before the latter. And the latter puts a certain trust in the Royal Mail.

And as I suggested in my post on the previous thread, don't try and do something silly like change cars - ever. It complicates things still further and the admin charge is potentially pretty hefty.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: