Heygate Demolition

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 29 October 2009 9.08am
So the September 2009 deadline for moving residents has been and gone and there are still people living in the Heygate. Anyone know when the demolition is meant to happen?
Thursday 29 October 2009 10.47am
How many people are left now I wonder? How they can push people out of their homes with out making adequate provision is beyond me...and of course now they are doing the same with the Aylesbury. If people realised anyway that the new builds they will be expected to live in will be half the size of the generous rooms they have now!

and there are already 14,000 on the waiting list...
Thursday 29 October 2009 12.19pm
I keep wondering when the word 'scandal' will be publically attached to what has been happening on the Heygate over the last few years? Is this also going to repeated on the Aylesbury too?
Thursday 5 November 2009 11.54am
From a written answer given by Cllr Paul Noblet at last night's council assembly:

"Demolition is planned to start early in the new year. Our estimate continues to be that the redevelopment will take approximately 12 years to complete from the first phase of demolition.   Market conditions will inevitably influence the pace of development."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 5 November 2009 2.51pm
So anyone being re-housed on that site would have top endure 12 years of building works? Nice for little kids to have diggers and cranes to,play with...:-(
Thursday 5 November 2009 3.10pm
Dont forget that some of the tenants have brought their properties. I know two tenants who are still awaiting a decent price for their homes in order to buy a new one so they dont have to get a mortgage. It is a long process and Southwark Council are not the most speedy in replying!!!
Friday 6 November 2009 8.46pm
On Thursday morning I think it was, BBC Radio London mentioned that LBS had said its 80% empty and on schedule despite someone else on the same programme commenting about the time its taking. I am sure the clip could easily be sought if you're interested. It was on between 7am and 7:30am as they were promoting the Michael Caine film set there.
Saturday 7 November 2009 7.44am
In the meantime I understand it's turning into a glorious haven for gangs and vandals.
Tuesday 29 December 2009 11.02am
So what's the latest on the demolition? they say its due to start in Feb, but how can it when people are still living on the estate? Surely there are health and safety issues?
Tuesday 29 December 2009 3.02pm
Mary my brother and his wife moved into the aylesbury estate when it first opened, they were moved from their ' slum' property in Long Lane, which in actual fact was the top storey of a house which my brother had turned into a lovely flat and he built a small kitchenette on their landing.
They were moved into Wendover block with three small children, a year or two after the council decided to extend the length of Wendover block. For the next 2/3 years they endured unbelievable noise from the building work. One sunday afternoon a crane driver swung the jib around and misjudged the distance knocking one of the massive concrete slabs off which crashed down near my brothers front door where the children had been playing.
The next day my brother went to get a mortgage and moved out to Kent soon after!
Health and safety may have improved since then....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: