Hope SE1 doesn't come all Royston Vasey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 29 October 2009 1.32pm
Thursday 29 October 2009 2.45pm
hear!hear! although I'd love to see a stall at Borough Market selling "precious things"
Thursday 29 October 2009 2.52pm
Lol .... I fear it may be too late already
Friday 30 October 2009 7.44am
Very funny observation but there is a very real debate appearing on this website and in the country as a whole. Real Se1 does represent a group of people who are being squeezed and left behind in se1 and the country and understandably feel angry and disenfranchised. When they express the anger/fear they then get labelled as unreasonable/chippy/aggressive/racist/classist. This does not heal the divide but makes it all the more entrenched.

The solution? Over to you all but I suspect it has to come from dialogue and a few 'real' SE1 local matriarchs knocking heads together (Auntie Pat for example seems to be a breath of reason and common sense)
Friday 30 October 2009 8.55am
and this forum is an ideal method to discuss these issues in a mature and informed manner. Just because some people don't shop at East Street market or support Millwall, does not make them phoney or wannabes. I do shop at East Street and don't like football and would probably be classed as "new" as I have lived here for only 6 years. What is new?

I've asked on another thread why "real se-1" makes negative comments about new people, and I note Auntie Pat has asked something similar on another thread so perhaps a good healthy discussion will soon take place.

Making assumptions about other people purely on their presumed length of residence, or any other presumed criteria does not make for reasonable debate.
Friday 30 October 2009 10.06am
I propose honorary citizenship of SE1 for Clint Eastwood. I hear he's a Millwall supporter (SE16) and shops in East Street (SE17), but we shouldn't hold that against him.
Friday 30 October 2009 1.56pm
JimG wrote:
Real Se1 does represent a group of people who are being squeezed and left behind in se1 and the country and understandably feel angry and disenfranchised. When they express the anger/fear they then get labelled as unreasonable/chippy/aggressive/racist/classist. This does not heal the divide but makes it all the more entrenched.

You're making a lot of assumptions about him there, unless you know him well?

His post last night was 'unreasonable/chippy/aggressive' as you put it:

real-se1 wrote:
You dont go down East Street cause its not trendy.To be honest you there are a few phoneys on here.You wanna be from SE1 (you might live here now) thats why you come on here, but your wannabes....you dont want your mates who visit you (from an area you cant afford to live in) seeing a bit of tat when they visit you for some gwub at buwwa market.

What's with the continued referencing of East Street Market and the insistence we must go there? I don't want to!
Friday 30 October 2009 3.07pm
Lets for a moment assume we would not allow new people to come and live in SE1 (don't get me wrong, I'm a new one too, oh and foreign to boot).

The first place I lived in SE1 was Shad Thames which I rented from a friend. Who bought it off-plan which must now be around 16 years ago. At a time where the building manager (for teh conversion) had to have quadrupal locks on the doors and a shot gun. Was that better?

Mill Wall - one of my friends is one of their absolute biggest fans. She lives in Rotherhite and has all her life. Should she therefore be banned as a fan?

Having lived in multiple locations around the world I can see why people might feel disenfrenchised, but alternatively it also provides additional resources to the whole community and maybe even more importantly new experiences and contacts. Take the example of Shad Thames. Were it never re-developed, Southwark council would never have raked in as much council tax as they do now.

Why can't we all give a little, take a little and get to know each other a little better. Be a bit understanding and get along? Goodness knows, we all might enjoy it! But please - nothing like the two on the first post!!
Sunday 1 November 2009 3.45pm
Phoney Think its more like Harry Enfields Tim nice but dim. There both on the BBC.
Sunday 1 November 2009 6.32pm
Remember the London Docklands Development Corporation which back in the early 80's gave preferential treatment to any local with a rent book allowing them to be first in the queue to buy a new property at a reduced rate. Every local had the opportunity to get in at the beginning before property prices took off (and before they slumped in the arly 90's). I bought a Plot in Stave Dock two years before a brick was laid. Many locals bought several properties as plots and sold them on at a great profit before any building had even begun. Then the LDDC changed the name from Surrey Docks to Surrey Quays to bring the area 'upmarket'. The point is most locals had the opportunity to grab a nice property at rock bottom prices if they only had the foresight to buy before the 'outsiders' moved in but many chose not to take advantage of upgrading.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: