Stamford Street history

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 29 October 2009 8.30pm
I want to do some research on previous occupants of my flat on Stamford Street and hope to find somewhere the original plans of the 18th Century houses here. I wonder if anyone has already done any research they could share with me; to begin with I need to find the original house numbers which I believe changed in the early 20th C. Any history nuts out there ? Any advice on where to look for this kind of information ? Many thanks !
Friday 30 October 2009 12.47am
My first stop would be the London Metropolitan Archives. they have all sorts of information there, including documentation of renumbering of streets.
Friday 30 October 2009 9.39am
Guy,
Just a little info about your location, but I don't think will help much as it doesn't go back far enough. For about 25 years until his retirement in 1976, my father worked at the Sainsbury's factory in Stamford Street. A couple of years before his retirement there were rumours of the factory transferring its operation to Basingstoke. Whether or not this ever happened I have no idea, but I cannot imagine the old factory still being there. I haven't been to that part of Blackfriars for over 40 years, and it was an ancient building back then. Perhaps your flat is on the old factory site? To the left of the factory, on the other side of what I seem to remember was a small park, was the staff canteen. It was a very spacious building as you can imagine, as the factory employed many staff. Every year the company held a Christmas party for the children of their employees in that canteen building. If you, or anyone else, has any info as to the fate of the factory, or the canteen building, I would be pleased to hear it.
Friday 30 October 2009 10.07am
Assuming you're at the western (Lambeth) end of Stamford Street, then Lambeth Archives at Minet Library should be able to help:
http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/LeisureCulture/LocalHistory/Archives.htm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 30 October 2009 7.19pm
chalkey

Sainsbury's factory premises (including what became Rennie House on the corner with Paris Garden) were converted into offices used by the company, but Sainsbury's moved out in 2001-02 when they moved the HQ from Stamford House to Holborn and sold the various Stamord Street sites for redevelopment.

(Although at the time there were rumours that they might have an option to move back to Blackfriars to one of the redeveloped sites).

Rennie House is scheduled to be redeveloped as a pair of towers, but the churchyard gardens will remain.
Friday 30 October 2009 9.01pm
Thanks for that, Lang Rabbie. So it was a curchyard, not a park. Brings back a lot of memories from my dad's days at Sainsabury's. One year, for the kid's Christmas party in the old staff canteen,, the 'turn' was supposed to be 'Humphrey Lyttelton and his band.' For whatever reason, they didn't show up. Little did I know that fifty yars later I would become a devotee of the show he mastered so well: 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue.'
Funny old life.
'Lang may yer lum reek.'
Friday 30 October 2009 11.44pm
Saturday 31 October 2009 10.48am
I hadn't thought there were still any 18th century houses standing in Stamford Street. My understanding is that the oldest houses at the Blackfriars Bridge end were demolished when Kings Reach tower and Milroy walk were built, and the the Lambeth stretch (west of Broadwall) wasn't laid out until 1815 when what is now Waterloo Bridge was being constructed.

Survey of London: Volume 22 - St Saviour's Southwark

Survey of London: Volume 23 - St Mary's Lambeth
Sunday 1 November 2009 12.45pm
Do you anything about Bodys Bridge in Stamford Street, near the Old elderado Ice ceam factory Lang Rabbie? Ignore that I have just seen and followed your link..:-)
Sunday 1 November 2009 10.14pm
Jan - I'm intrigued - what/where was Bodys Bridge?

[note to everyone else - IIRC Eldorado ice cream factory was where Bernie Spain Gardens is now]
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: