Monday 1 March 2004 12.46pm
3 takers so far and its only Monday! To give you an idea of the information available, I know that I can organise:
- A complete set of drawings of Bermondsey St elevations at 1:50 scale done in 1979. This shows a lot of what used to be on Bermondsey St and, with the current development frenzy, much of it will soon be gone.
- A VHS tape chronicling the work of the Bermondsey Lampost, a free school for local children who were constant truants. This tape was made in 1970 and there are glimpses of the wasteland that Bermondsey St was at that time.
- A VHS tape documenting the work of the Industrial Improvements Scheme, run by Southwark Council
in 1979/82 in the north of the borough
- Copies of the original Bermondsey St Conservation Area designation and the supporting documents presented (1970/71) by the Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Society.
- Numerous photos of the area between 1975 and the present day plus other images from a variety of sources documenting the area's history.
If anyone else can organise other documents or photos it would be good to try and co-ordinate.
Having given it some thought, I'm going to make photos of Bermondsey St as it is today and put the historic drawings and contemporary photos together in a slide show type presentation. This will take time and if anyone would like to help, I'd appreciate it.